News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Quote from: The Larch on March 23, 2010, 12:05:22 PM
We have been playing Twilight Imperium (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12493/twilight-imperium-3rd-edition) for the last couple of weekends, and although I really want to like the game, I must say that it has some serious-ish design flaws. Has somebody else played it?

I've played it a fair amount.  There are some good variants for it, I liked the Age of Empire variant.  I find it plays best with a smaller group of 4 than a larger group just because of the time involved.

The Larch

Quote from: PRC on March 23, 2010, 12:11:34 PM
We have been playing Twilight Imperium (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12493/twilight-imperium-3rd-edition) for the last couple of weekends, and although I really want to like the game, I must say that it has some serious-ish design flaws. Has somebody else played it?

I've played it a fair amount.  There are some good variants for it, I liked the Age of Empire variant.  I find it plays best with a smaller group of 4 than a larger group just because of the time involved.

That's a big point. We've always played it with 6 people, and we were only able to finish it once, with somebody leaving mid-way the first game because it was so damn long. How does the "Age of Empire" variant work?

PRC

The Age of Empire variant is basically all the objectives for the game are made visible and available from the game start.  Gives players some more focus in the early game. 

The Larch

Quote from: PRC on March 23, 2010, 12:22:13 PM
The Age of Empire variant is basically all the objectives for the game are made visible and available from the game start.  Gives players some more focus in the early game.

Doesn't that actually take away power to the Imperial role card? BTW, we played with it nerfed to 1 VP only, instead of 2 VPs.

PRC

Age of Empire is an official variant and here is the rules direct from the TI3 rule book:

The victory point system of TI, as written, rewards
players that seek a balance of planning and flexibility.
Some players, however, may desire that the victory
objectives of TI be more predictable (which was the
case in the two previous editions of TI) so that they
may form a more stable long term strategy. This is
accomplished in the following way:
After creating the Public Objective Deck as normal,
start to draw its cards, starting from the top. After
drawing a card, place it face up in the common play
area, creating a straight line of cards starting to the
left. After drawing and placing the "Game Over" card,
if there are any additional cards remaining in the
deck, place those cards back in the box (you will not
need them).

Now you should have a line of Public Objective Cards
somewhere between 7 and 10 cards long with the
"Game Over" card in the rightmost position.
During the game, players may qualify for the victory
points of any of the revealed Objective Cards from
Turn one. No further Public Objective Cards will
enter the game. In this way, players know exactly
which objectives will give them victory points for the
duration of the game.

After the end of the Status Phase of the first game
round, place a Turn token (a glass bead, a thimble, a
quarter, etc.) on the leftmost card. After every Status
Phase is finished, move the Turn token one card to
the right. When the Turn token moves onto the Game
Over card, the game ends immediately, and the player
with the highest number of victory points is the winner
(as described in the core rules). In this way, your
row of Objective Cards also act as a Turn track.

The Brain

Get the expansion with a better card system.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: The Brain on March 23, 2010, 01:17:01 PM

Get the expansion with a better card system.

We tried the role cards in our second game, I remain unconvinced as a whole, even if some are indeed better.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Delirium

I think it's a horrendous waste of time. It's Axis and Allies made even more pointless by throwing in a mix of Civilization, Puerto Rico and 20 pounds of plastic. And once the game gets fun and you want to start to use your technology, it's over after 20 minutes. Never again.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Larch

Quote from: Delirium on March 23, 2010, 04:10:55 PM

I think it's a horrendous waste of time. It's Axis and Allies made even more pointless by throwing in a mix of Civilization, Puerto Rico and 20 pounds of plastic. And once the game gets fun and you want to start to use your technology, it's over after 20 minutes. Never again.

Heh, the ones hat shelled the 70€ for it wouldn't like to hear that.  :lol:

Habbaku

Finally, something interesting hits GMT's P500.  Ordered both of these :

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-307-bloody-april-air-war-over-arras-france-1917.aspx

Bloody April, "Air War Over Arras, 1917."

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-306-next-war-korea.aspx

Next War : Korea, which you can guess the subject matter of.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

When is that thing coming out? The one where you play like an officer in Napoleon's army or something like that?

Delirium

Quote from: The Larch on March 23, 2010, 04:56:24 PMHeh, the ones hat shelled the 70€ for it wouldn't like to hear that.  :lol:

To be fair, I know quite a few people who enjoy the game, but they don't generally like wargames.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on March 24, 2010, 03:20:16 AM
When is that thing coming out? The one where you play like an officer in Napoleon's army or something like that?

According to the guys at Cold Wars, hopefully this summer, but not surprising if it doesn't until the fall.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive