News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on February 07, 2010, 04:39:27 AM
Did a trial session with Twilight in the East. Goddammit, that's a game for hardcore :nerd:. Chances are I'll never have the patience to play it, but it looks so good I'm happy just to own it.

Yes, it's a keeper, if only to say that you now own the largest WW1 east-front game since, well, the east front.

Delirium

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on February 03, 2010, 09:35:11 AM
Easiest way to learn is to just jump into a game.
Agree.  That's how I learned that Napoleonic game.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I want my goddamn packages.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Oexmelin

Which should I pick ?

Richard III or Republic of Rome ?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Depends on if you have a reliable group or not.  If so, RoR is a good buy, otherwise Richard III.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

I am tempted to take RoR, as I already have a couple of 2-player games: Wilderness Wars, Hammer of the Scots and Warriors of God. My multiplayer games are more of the euro variety. But I like RIII's theme. Hmmm.

Apparently, the new version of RoR includes solitaire play and a 2-player version. Though I am not holding my breath for actual playability...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

If you have time to wait and decide, or are interested, I'll be running an RoR game on Languish starting in a couple of weeks (after I get back from the NBW convention).  You're welcome to play and decide for yourself whether it's worth buying.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Habby/Berkut---what's the final verdict on GMT's Battle For Normandy.  A keeper?

Habbaku

Berkut implements the chess clock on my moves, so I think he's rather into the game.

I like it, but want to restart our campaign now that I know what I'm doing.  :P

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on February 10, 2010, 06:19:52 PM
Berkut implements the chess clock on my moves,

:lol:
Imagine that.

Habbaku

Definitely hilarious considering how he tends to drag his heels on just about every other game we play.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on February 10, 2010, 06:21:31 PM
Definitely hilarious considering how he tends to drag his heels on just about every other game we play.

I think it's the basketball ref in him.  He counts off the seconds you're in the key.

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on February 10, 2010, 04:40:08 PM
If you have time to wait and decide, or are interested, I'll be running an RoR game on Languish starting in a couple of weeks (after I get back from the NBW convention).  You're welcome to play and decide for yourself whether it's worth buying.

So, which day should we circle in our calendars? When do we start the dedicated thread?  :lol:

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on February 10, 2010, 06:21:31 PM

Horsehit. The problem is you and Jeff simply don't make a move until someone prods you. and we all signed up for this with the idea that we would be playing quickly, not taking two days to decide how to spend 3 replacement points.

The real problem is that Habs thinks his partner sucks (he does), and his partner doesn't want to play because they think they are losing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned