News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2010, 10:05:52 AM
Actually, the BG battles weren't particularly realistic, IMO.  Getting hit by nuclear weapons and shrugging them off made no sense to me.  The fighters behaved pretty much exactly like atmospheric fighters.

I think the current government's of Earth would love to get their hands on the formula for Galactica's armour. :D

Especially as the ship looks as if most of its armour is missing, and it still stood up to a nuclear strike! :rolleyes:

I didn't exactly say they did the battles well. I said they made the distances they fought at on screen make sense by limiting themselves to non energy weaponry. Of course, the FTL drive they used would also encourage close range combats as well!
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

It's very difficult to have battles in space, as an effective defence is nearly impossible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on February 04, 2010, 12:33:43 PM
It's very difficult to have battles in space, as an effective defence is nearly impossible.

Expound on this point, please?

After all, at the ranges space combat is likely to be fought at, simple movement ought to be a good defence, unless you are tied down defending a fixed vector/point. I would have thought mounting an effective attack would have been the harder task.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on February 04, 2010, 12:54:26 PM
Expound on this point, please?

After all, at the ranges space combat is likely to be fought at, simple movement ought to be a good defence, unless you are tied down defending a fixed vector/point. I would have thought mounting an effective attack would have been the harder task.
I'm speaking strategically.  In space, it is trivially easy to destroy absolutely anything relatively large and immobile, like a planet.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Agelastus on February 04, 2010, 09:05:50 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 04, 2010, 01:56:47 AM
What would an actual space battle look like?  I always imagined it would have way more in common with Jutland than Midway, all extremely long-range ordinance and guessing where the enemy is/will be.

The descriptions in these books are the ones I've read that I consider most likely. He deals well with the problem of light-speed transmission of information, and how you are trying to outguess your opponent right up to the moment of contact.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dauntless-Lost-Fleet-Book-1/dp/0441014186/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265292054&sr=1-4

Although even this author cannot resist having fleets interpenetrate, even if for only microseconds. The odds against this actually happening must be astronomical.
Good books.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on February 04, 2010, 12:05:34 PM
I didn't exactly say they did the battles well. I said they made the distances they fought at on screen make sense by limiting themselves to non energy weaponry. Of course, the FTL drive they used would also encourage close range combats as well!
I must admit that, while I enjoyed the whole debate around B5's space battlel physics, I never even considered that for BSG.  BSG simply wasn't the kind of show one would even think about evaluating in that context (much like the Star Wars movies or Star Trek); the physics seemed purely there to serve the story.  And that is fine with me, actually.  I prefer writers who make the attempt to stay honest with the physics, but understand why few do.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on February 04, 2010, 01:51:46 PM
I'm speaking strategically.  In space, it is trivially easy to destroy absolutely anything relatively large and immobile, like a planet.

Agreed. However, most wars on Earth aren't fought to the point of mutual annihilation, so I suspect that our descendants, should they ever colonise other worlds and develop an effective method of transiting between said worlds at FTL speeds, will still have to develop methods of actually fighting in space, even if these engagements only take place in close proximity to said colonised worlds.

There are, of course, two big (and given current science, insoluble) "ifs" there.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Hey, Grumbler, have you ever tried this out?

http://www.hw2bsg.org/

I think there's a Babylon 5 mod for the game as well, although I think it was never finished.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on February 04, 2010, 05:31:01 PM
Agreed. However, most wars on Earth aren't fought to the point of mutual annihilation, so I suspect that our descendants, should they ever colonise other worlds and develop an effective method of transiting between said worlds at FTL speeds, will still have to develop methods of actually fighting in space, even if these engagements only take place in close proximity to said colonised worlds.

There are, of course, two big (and given current science, insoluble) "ifs" there.
What are they fighting for?  Unmanned satellites would be much more effective in close proximity to colonized worlds, if all one wants to do is control space so as to allow one's land forces to come and go as they please (and to blast the surface with the occasional Rod From God).  If you're looking for mass destruction, long range missiles launched from the outer reaches of the solar system and accelerated on target by a course-correcting computer would be far more useful than a fleet of space warships.

Faeelin

Quote from: Neil on February 04, 2010, 06:21:23 PM
hat are they fighting for?  Unmanned satellites would be much more effective in close proximity to colonized worlds, if all one wants to do is control space so as to allow one's land forces to come and go as they please (and to blast the surface with the occasional Rod From God).  If you're looking for mass destruction, long range missiles launched from the outer reaches of the solar system and accelerated on target by a course-correcting computer would be far more useful than a fleet of space warships.

Earthlike planets are rare, no? Why wouldn't they be worth controlling in their own right?

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on February 04, 2010, 07:06:58 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 04, 2010, 06:21:23 PM
hat are they fighting for?  Unmanned satellites would be much more effective in close proximity to colonized worlds, if all one wants to do is control space so as to allow one's land forces to come and go as they please (and to blast the surface with the occasional Rod From God).  If you're looking for mass destruction, long range missiles launched from the outer reaches of the solar system and accelerated on target by a course-correcting computer would be far more useful than a fleet of space warships.
Earthlike planets are rare, no? Why wouldn't they be worth controlling in their own right?
Certainly in the Solar System.  Outside, it's impossible to say.

So, if you have an earthlike planet, and you want to retain control over it.  How would you go about doing that?

Grinning_Colossus

Who needs planets? Once you've gone to all the trouble of pulling yourself out of a gravity well, why jump into another one?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on February 04, 2010, 08:24:52 PM
Who needs planets? Once you've gone to all the trouble of pulling yourself out of a gravity well, why jump into another one?
So that you can have a more familiar setting for drama and adventure.

Captain Kirk wrestling with the Gorn would have looked stupid if it happened in the corridor of a space station.
PDH!

Viking

The History Channel's The Universe "Space Wars Episode"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WkJ0ib0w9M
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on February 04, 2010, 08:24:52 PM
Many people find it convenient to live in a place that doesn't seek your death at every opportunity.