News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2010, 10:05:52 AM
The Minbari didn't have to close to fight, and they didn't do so.  Earthforce ships had to, because their weapons were particle weapons and thus could be intercepted if the range was long enough (though in cases where the target had no interceptors, the show rightly had engagements occur at much longer ranges).  There is no doubt, though, that ships were shown closer than pure physics would necessitate, in order to make the shots look better.
The Minbari had small fighters too.

Actually, the BG battles weren't particularly realistic, IMO.  Getting hit by nuclear weapons and shrugging them off made no sense to me.  The fighters behaved pretty much exactly like atmospheric fighters.
Consider Star Trek then, where they have proton&quantum torpedoes, much more powerful than nuclear weapons, yet they can resist it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2010, 11:50:03 AM
I can't remember that.
Didn't original BSG just have the ships go very very fast?
Only the Battlestar had an FTL drive, the fleet didn't.
And they used it for the episodes when they thought they found earth, wich was actually under some kind of military dictatorship.
Or maybe I'm wrong, and it was in the second season, when they landed on our Earth, thinking it was their Earth.

Oh what a great show that was... or maybe not :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on February 05, 2010, 08:58:54 AM
???

Light is still faster than a projectile travelling at relativistic speeds and if we are positing a future without such esoteric items as shields, then the projectile would have to be pretty large and solid lest it be destroyed by contact with a small particle. Science Fiction portrays such projectiles as a threat because planets are stationary targets, and such projectiles would be almost impossible to intercept. A habitat could see it and move.

I quite like the idea of creating biospheres inside hollowed out asteroids, but the effort involved is truly frightening.
How do you detect the oncoming projectile?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on February 05, 2010, 02:13:16 PM

Allowing for redshift issues (I think that's the right end of the Spectrum) and the complete lack of atmospheric effects, stellar occlusion would seem to work for an optical based system.

Alternatively, one deploys a (very large and very expensive) shell of radar installations linked back to the vulnerable habitat by laser based communication. I doubt a relativistic projectile would be capable of altering course, so not much movement would be required. I would imagine that the evasion would have to be automatic though, rather than let humans make the decisions (I doubt humans would have time to do so.)

That's two ways I can come up with in sixty seconds. I am sure there are more.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

Quote from: viper37 on February 05, 2010, 11:58:41 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2010, 11:50:03 AM
I can't remember that.
Didn't original BSG just have the ships go very very fast?
Only the Battlestar had an FTL drive, the fleet didn't.
And they used it for the episodes when they thought they found earth, wich was actually under some kind of military dictatorship.
Or maybe I'm wrong, and it was in the second season, when they landed on our Earth, thinking it was their Earth.

Oh what a great show that was... or maybe not :P

By inference, they had a realspace FTL drive on all the ships of the fleet (episodes speak of crossing to a new Galaxy, even, but the effects suggest they passed through a large and dense dust cloud.) Visual evidence from the first five episodes (the movie and the "Lost Planet of the Gods" episodes) indicate that they had crossed an interstellar distance in a period of a few months at most, more likely a few weeks.)

On screen evidence has the Galactica going to "Light Speed" in the episode "Experiment in Terra". Given the impossibility of doing this, one must curse the loose terminology of a series that strongly implied that one man fighters were equipped with a drive capable of maintaining FTL speeds.

Of course, that's where a lot of the nonsense on boards about fighters engaging in FTL combat comes from.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on February 05, 2010, 03:02:03 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 05, 2010, 02:13:16 PM

Allowing for redshift issues (I think that's the right end of the Spectrum) and the complete lack of atmospheric effects, stellar occlusion would seem to work for an optical based system.

Alternatively, one deploys a (very large and very expensive) shell of radar installations linked back to the vulnerable habitat by laser based communication. I doubt a relativistic projectile would be capable of altering course, so not much movement would be required. I would imagine that the evasion would have to be automatic though, rather than let humans make the decisions (I doubt humans would have time to do so.)

That's two ways I can come up with in sixty seconds. I am sure there are more.
It's a big ass sky.  Direct observation is impossible.

As for movement, the feasibility depends on the size of the habitat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Going through the Second Season before school starts over here in Turkey.  Pegasus was one of the finest hours of television I've ever seen.  Really, really well done.  Oh and, I :wub: Michelle Forbes. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on February 19, 2010, 05:33:21 AM
Going through the Second Season before school starts over here in Turkey.  Pegasus was one of the finest hours of television I've ever seen.  Really, really well done.  Oh and, I :wub: Michelle Forbes.
That little triology of episodes starting with the arrival of the Pegasus is the best three-episode run in SF (or any other) TV history, IMO; better even than the B5 one that won the Hugo Award.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 07:40:55 AM
That little triology of episodes starting with the arrival of the Pegasus is the best three-episode run in SF (or any other) TV history, IMO; better even than the B5 one that won the Hugo Award.
Lloyd Bridges was pretty cool, but I don't know if I'd go that far.

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2010, 07:42:51 AM
Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 07:40:55 AM
Lloyd Bridges was pretty cool, but I don't know if I'd go that far.

:D

Regardless, what nBSG did to the character of Cain was a crime.

It is interesting though that the best episodes of both the new and the old series revolved around the Pegasus.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 07:48:11 AM
:D

Lesbians are great. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 07:48:11 AM

The crime being taking a cardboard character and fleshing it out you mean?  :P

*cue for Neil's usual meaningless cant about Starbuck*

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2010, 11:23:26 AM

Lesbians are great. :)
Wanting to fuck Tricia Helfer is the sign of having a pulse, rather than being a lesbian.  And the idea of the two going at it in hot lesbian-woman-on-sexbot action makes my lobido want to produce a Big Bang of its own. 

The music on this series is near-perfect.  The #6 theme is awesome.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on February 19, 2010, 11:41:48 AM
Wanting to fuck Tricia Helfer is the sign of having a pulse, rather than being a lesbian.  And the idea of the two going at it in hot lesbian-woman-on-sexbot action makes my lobido want to produce a Big Bang of its own. 

I don't really need to hear about how you and Kanye would do anything for a blonde dyke, thx.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2010, 11:51:24 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 19, 2010, 11:41:48 AM

I don't really need to hear about how you and Kanye would do anything for a blonde dyke, thx.
:lmfao:

Genius.