And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Cerr on February 25, 2010, 06:51:08 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2010, 02:05:47 PM
Hell, TNG had one of the best shows about the implications of omnipotence ever.
Which episode are you referring to?
It is one in which they find only two survivors (man and woman) on a tiny surviving splinter of land on a planet that has been ravaged by an alien bombardment from space, and weird shit happens when they try to investigate where the aliens came from.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2010, 07:48:24 PM
Quote from: Cerr on February 25, 2010, 06:51:08 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2010, 02:05:47 PM
Hell, TNG had one of the best shows about the implications of omnipotence ever.
Which episode are you referring to?
It is one in which they find only two survivors (man and woman) on a tiny surviving splinter of land on a planet that has been ravaged by an alien bombardment from space, and weird shit happens when they try to investigate where the aliens came from.
Yeah, that one was good.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

The Adama-Roslin relationship is really, really great.  One of the best things about the show. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Just watched The Plan. It was weird watching the show without Roslin.  Liked the gratuitous penis shot though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

I have to say; I think the show has really come back, if not to Season 2 levels, then to season 1 levels.  The mutiny and integration of Rebel Cylon and Human forces is really interesting. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on March 01, 2010, 10:40:45 AM
I have to say; I think the show has really come back, if not to Season 2 levels, then to season 1 levels.  The mutiny and integration of Rebel Cylon and Human forces is really interesting. 
You need your head examined.

:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I revise my statement about Admiral Caine.
She really is a psycho.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Agelastus

Quote from: viper37 on March 13, 2010, 01:43:04 AM
She really is a psycho.

I agree, of course, but what caused you to revise your opinion?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

viper37

Quote from: Agelastus on March 13, 2010, 07:15:25 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 13, 2010, 01:43:04 AM
She really is a psycho.

I agree, of course, but what caused you to revise your opinion?
I got the Blu-Ray of the series, and I'm rewatching it. I'm currently watching Razor.  It's clear to me now that she was a psychopath before the Colonies were bombed, she was just "in control" so to speak, and the near anihilation of the human race pushed her over the edge.  It ain't simply post-traumatic stress disorder.

Some events were mixed up in my head :)  I thought she killed her XO after discovering the Cylon.  Clearly, she didn't even need that.

Siege

What? Who said that the 12 colonies were in the same system?

That's impossible.

I always assumed they were in 12 diferent systems, next to each other.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Queequeg on February 04, 2010, 01:56:47 AM
What would an actual space battle look like?  I always imagined it would have way more in common with Jutland than Midway, all extremely long-range ordinance and guessing where the enemy is/will be. 

It will be long-range missiles, "smart" missiles, with nuclear warheads, launched from a collection of vessels that will likely resemble current generation submarines, as oppoused to surface vessels or aircraft. Point defense systems will likely be lasers instead of bullets, even though bullets are cheaper, because of speed to target and because bullets would continue to fly indefinitively beyond their targetting range due to inertia, which could be a problem in large formations of spaceships.

I think fighters and carriers will be limited to orbital operations and planetary assaults. There is no point whatsoever in using fighters in deep space. Because of inertia, they would not have a speed or manouverability advantage over larger spacecraft, but would be far more limited in firepower and defenses.

But then, back in the 19th century, future aircraft was thought of as resembling naval vessels, with an open deck on top. We are probably making the same mistake today with spacecraft. The reality of space will dictate their shapes and sizes, and they will likely not ressemble anything we know today.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Siege on March 15, 2010, 10:14:33 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 04, 2010, 01:56:47 AM
What would an actual space battle look like?  I always imagined it would have way more in common with Jutland than Midway, all extremely long-range ordinance and guessing where the enemy is/will be. 

It will be long-range missiles, "smart" missiles, with nuclear warheads, launched from a collection of vessels that will likely resemble current generation submarines, as oppoused to surface vessels or aircraft. Point defense systems will likely be lasers instead of bullets, even though bullets are cheaper, because of speed to target and because bullets would continue to fly indefinitively beyond their targetting range due to inertia, which could be a problem in large formations of spaceships.

I think fighters and carriers will be limited to orbital operations and planetary assaults. There is no point whatsoever in using fighters in deep space. Because of inertia, they would not have a speed or manouverability advantage over larger spacecraft, but would be far more limited in firepower and defenses.

But then, back in the 19th century, future aircraft was thought of as resembling naval vessels, with an open deck on top. We are probably making the same mistake today with spacecraft. The reality of space will dictate their shapes and sizes, and they will likely not ressemble anything we know today.

Or giant aircraft carriers that can launch Veritech fighters.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Siege on March 15, 2010, 09:52:01 AM
the producers said so.  It was the same in the original show.

It's not impossible, just highly unlikely.

Agelastus

Quote from: Siege on March 15, 2010, 09:52:01 AM

That's impossible.

I always assumed they were in 12 diferent systems, next to each other.

Triple star system with twelve inhabitable planets (judging from on-screen info of the original series - Tigh gesturing at a starmap showing the location of three groups of Cylon basestars launching at all "outer planets".) This particular concept seems to have been taken on board by the revival team after the outrage on the Battlestar Galactica boards over their original concept of the twelve Colonies all sharing one world.

The outrage over the new show was funny; I posted a "live with it" message on a board that I'd ignored for a few years and ended up getting the fourth degree from people who thought I was a sock puppet of a known agent provocateur.

As for the odds of such a system? I'd say they are low, but not impossible. I'd guess some of the worlds would have to be double planets, and the stars would have to be orbiting quite a way from each other (no doubt explaining the prevalence of civilian FTL - some ships with it, some ships without. Presumably cost over speed considerations since all the Colonies are reachable by STL ships in a not-to-unreasonable amount of time.) There's nothing in canon that contradicts the possibility that some of the worlds were terraformed, having not originally been habitable, if you cannot believe that a system would have twelve natural inhabitable worlds.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

Double Binary System

This map is awesome, however the original
population #s were retarded. Now they were
never actually consistent in the show either
throwing around 20 billion and 50 billion on
different occasions (would it kill the writers to at
least keep the values close?). So the original total
on this map of 28.55 billion was fine, but it
reduced Libran and Aquaria to virtually
uninhabited planets with tiny outposts of 2.1
million and 25,000 people respectively. 

The original map can be found here.
http://io9.com/#!5742034/a-detailed-map-of-
battlestar-galacticas-twelve-colonies

Here's mine.

By timmay11 at 2011-03-16
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point