News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 07:40:55 AM
That little triology of episodes starting with the arrival of the Pegasus is the best three-episode run in SF (or any other) TV history, IMO; better even than the B5 one that won the Hugo Award.
Better than Severed Dreams?  I don't know...

Visually speaking, yes it's better, no arguments there.
There's more people involved on all sides, that goes with the budget.
The writing was good, but I don't know if I'd put it as better than JMS' own writing.  At least equal.
The music... I just don't remember...

Oh, well, I'll reserve my final judgement for when I finally receive my Blu Ray of the series.
But of course I won't be able to watch B5 on HD since it's horrible :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Agelastus

Quote from: Grallon on February 19, 2010, 11:38:11 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 07:48:11 AM

Regardless, what nBSG did to the character of Cain was a crime.

The crime being taking a cardboard character and fleshing it out you mean?  :P

*cue for Neil's usual meaningless cant about Starbuck*

G.

Nope, for turning an old soldier dreaming of past glories into a psychopathic, murderous bitch.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

viper37

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 01:38:59 PM
Quote from: Grallon on February 19, 2010, 11:38:11 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 07:48:11 AM

Regardless, what nBSG did to the character of Cain was a crime.

The crime being taking a cardboard character and fleshing it out you mean?  :P

*cue for Neil's usual meaningless cant about Starbuck*

G.

Nope, for turning an old soldier dreaming of past glories into a psychopathic, murderous bitch.

Post-traumatic stress disorder.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grallon

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 01:38:59 PM

This was BSG - not 'Charge of the Light Brigade'.

Hmmm she'd make a perfect Signy Mallory though :wub:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Agelastus

Quote from: viper37 on February 19, 2010, 02:22:11 PM
Post-traumatic stress disorder.

Shooting your XO? Yes, that would explain that, perhaps.

Wouldn't explain abandoning a bunch of civvies though.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

viper37

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 05:42:48 PM
Shooting your XO? Yes, that would explain that, perhaps.
Wouldn't explain abandoning a bunch of civvies though.
Well, not being a psy I don't know much about this... but, as a result of a tragic event, some 'normal' people can become true psychos.

We can argue that:
a- Being under attack by the Cylons, receiving lots of damages and barely escaping alive while most of the known civilization was destroyed
and
b- the woman you love most is in fact a Cylon infiltrator, the ones who previously tried to kill you

are tragic events sufficient to make someone 'flip'.

Of she was a psycho all along, and she managed to hide it well throughout her career, wich is not impossible.

Agelastus

Quote from: viper37 on February 20, 2010, 03:18:21 PM
Well, not being a psy I don't know much about this... but, as a result of a tragic event, some 'normal' people can become true psychos.

We can argue that:
a- Being under attack by the Cylons, receiving lots of damages and barely escaping alive while most of the known civilization was destroyed
and
b- the woman you love most is in fact a Cylon infiltrator, the ones who previously tried to kill you

are tragic events sufficient to make someone 'flip'.

Of she was a psycho all along, and she managed to hide it well throughout her career, wich is not impossible.

Perhaps I should have used the word "forgive" instead of "explain".

And it doesn't change the fact that they made Cain more of a monster than a military commander, which I do not consider to be a good decision by the creators of nBSG.

And I'm not a knee-jerk, "old is better" guy. Before it went off the rails after New Caprica, I had a lot of time for the new Starbuck, and I loved what they'd done with the Boomer character. :wub:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Queequeg

Yeah.  I'm now watching after New Caprica, and there's a definite decline in quality.  Rather sad.  Hoping it improves before the (in)famous series finale?

I love the Cylons, but they seem to have taken them in some...less interesting directions I think.  I don't know, they were better as something of a mystery.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Lucy Lawless' # isn't nearly as interesting as any of the others; I'm partly blaming it on that.  Screen time that she has would be better spent with Cavil or Caprica, or some of the lesser-seen models. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on February 20, 2010, 06:26:30 PM
I don't know, they were better as something of a mystery.

But that's generally the case with unknown evil that is revealed. See the Shadows and the Borg.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2010, 07:09:19 PMBut that's generally the case with unknown evil that is revealed. See the Shadows and the Borg.

:yes:

:(

grumbler

Yeah.  I'm now watching after New Caprica, and there's a definite decline in quality.  Rather sad.  Hoping it improves before the (in)famous series finale?

I love the Cylons, but they seem to have taken them in some...less interesting directions I think.  I don't know, they were better as something of a mystery.
It always looked to me like the producers simeply didn't know what to do after the whole New Caprica fiasco.  There are some good eps ahead of you, but the story line never recovers.

The Cylons always suffered from the fact that the producers took the easy road every time they had to decide how to handle Cylons, and so ended up with contradictions that made the Cylons ultimately uninteresting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Faeelin

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2010, 07:09:19 PM
But that's generally the case with unknown evil that is revealed. See the Shadows and the Borg.

I thought the shadows were actually interesting, for a few reasons. first, their philosophy wasn't clearcut evil; it was more like someone weeding a garden to ensure that the best plants can flourish. Secondly, they were supposed to be a bit childish.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2010, 07:09:19 PM
I don't know, they were better as something of a mystery.

The Borg were never an "unknown evil" - everything about them was explained in their very first episode.

What made them less interesting is the number of times they were easily defeated by Star Fleet.  But even then First Contact managed to make them scary again.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

Taking A Break From All Your Worries is pretty great; maybe Season One great, not Pegasus though.  Baltar is probably the most interesting Human character.