News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Defining Latino

Started by Admiral Yi, February 24, 2020, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Mexican of native heritage
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Just the the old version of Mexican-American is my understanding.  Don't know where you get native (as in Indian?) from.

The Brain

[Admiral Yi] is definitely Italian, or some kind of Spanish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2020, 04:52:49 PM
Just the the old version of Mexican-American is my understanding.

Is that the same as La Raza?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2020, 04:52:49 PM
Just the the old version of Mexican-American is my understanding.  Don't know where you get native (as in Indian?) from.

That's more or less what I thought, that it was basically equivalent to Mexican - American, rather than its own thing.

Admiral Yi

I have this faint recollection that it was originally used to distinguish Mex-Ams born here from border jumpers.  "Are you Mexican?"  "No way, I'm Chicano."

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2020, 03:23:18 PM
Just got my census letter in the mail, am responding online, thought y'all might be interested in the wording of the Latino page.

Is [Admiral Yi] of Latino, Hispanic, or Spanish origin?
  [ ] No, not of Latino, Hispanic or Spanish origin.
  [ ] Yes, Mexican, Mexican-American, Chicano.
  [ ] Yes, Puerto Rican.
  [ ] Yes, Cuban.
  [ ] Yes, another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin.
       Enter, for example Salvadorean, Guatemalan, etc.

So to go back to my original question - does Latino include someone from Spain?

Sounds like it, according to the US census.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

According to the census bureau, Hispanic, Latino and Spanish are three different categories. :nerd:

Note the word "or."

It is true that the census bureau is implying Spaniards should eat lunch at the Latino table.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2020, 09:20:49 PM
According to the census bureau, Hispanic, Latino and Spanish are three different categories. :nerd:

Note the word "or."

It is true that the census bureau is implying Spaniards should eat lunch at the Latino table.

It's confusing - it seems to suggest they are three separate but interchangeable categories. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I'm sure I've heard Americans referring to Latin Americans as Spanish in the past and getting confused about where that leaves real Spanish people. Or am I imagining?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Note the word "or."

My impression is that "Latino, Hispanic, or Spanish" is one single category that includes all three words for convenience, likely because the limits of the sum of the three are less uncertain than the limits of the individual words.

Duque de Bragança

Note the word "or."

But not the Portuguese and the Brazilians.  :hmm:
Would African Lusophones be counted as Black Hispanics?