And we're back!

Main Menu

Defining Latino

Started by Admiral Yi, February 24, 2020, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 04:55:51 AM
How do you define ethnicity?

Roma and traveller are both considered ethnicities (one of the most discriminated against) in the UK and Ireland.

Genetics + language + culture.  Mainland gypsies are descended from Indians.  Irish Travelers are descended from Irish.

Do you define ethnic group as anyone who is discriminated against?

MadImmortalMan

"Irish Traveller" specifically?

I'm really resisting the urge to post many Dubliners videos.  :lol:

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2020, 05:01:59 AM
Genetics + language + culture.  Mainland gypsies are descended from Indians.  Irish Travelers are descended from Irish.
They've got a separate language, different culture (not least because historically non-settled/itinerant) and there's now significant genetic differences with the Irish settled community (but they are of Irish ancestry and not linked to the Roma and also confirmed they diverged about 350 years ago).

QuoteDo you define ethnic group as anyone who is discriminated against?
No. But that's the benefit of monitoring it, so even if they weren't a separate ethnic group it may be worth having as a separate category.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on February 25, 2020, 12:11:28 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 25, 2020, 12:02:50 AM
How do you pronounce it?  Latinks?  Latin X?  Latink?
middle one

Yep.  It's pronounced "ten."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 05:25:18 AM
They've got a separate language, different culture (not least because historically non-settled/itinerant) and there's now significant genetic differences with the Irish settled community (but they are of Irish ancestry and not linked to the Roma and also confirmed they diverged about 350 years ago).

I still think it's weird when they're both descended from the same stock and the real difference is a lifestyle choice.  Like calling surf bums or skate punks an ethnic group.

Apropos of not much, I think I worked with an Irish Traveler at an office job in DC.  Nothing conclusive, she just seemed oddly socialized and corrected me when I used the word gypsy, but it is fun to speculate about a Traveler jumping the rez and starting a new life in the New World.

Oh yeah, she also had a bit of facial hair.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2020, 07:03:20 AM

I still think it's weird when they're both descended from the same stock and the real difference is a lifestyle choice.  Like calling surf bums or skate punks an ethnic group.

I guess, if you classify it as a lifestyle choice, then having a negative opinion about it is okay. Which would be awkward.

Plus, you can't claim special legal privileges to live in various antisocial ways.

Sheilbh

A different view: what is a culture but a set of lifestyle choices?
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Travellers have been a group which heavily shuns marriage with outsiders and all that sort of thing for several hundred years at least. Genetic evidence does show some drift from the standard Irish population. They aren't just Irish people who have decided to bum around for a bit.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on February 25, 2020, 08:11:51 AM
Travellers have been a group which heavily shuns marriage with outsiders and all that sort of thing for several hundred years at least. Genetic evidence does show some drift from the standard Irish population. They aren't just Irish people who have decided to bum around for a bit.
Yeah. And my understanding is the main theory on their origin is that they were people who were either displaced, or chose not to settle, during the 17th century English/Scottish conquest and plantation of Ireland. So this isn't some new group.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 08:16:42 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 25, 2020, 08:11:51 AM
Yeah. And my understanding is the main theory on their origin is that they were people who were either displaced, or chose not to settle, during the 17th century English/Scottish conquest and plantation of Ireland. So this isn't some new group.

That's the most recent likely origin.  The one I'd tend to prefer goes further back to the Norman conquest with pre Norman Irish society being generally far more pastoral and less settled. Though it seems likely the separation and drift took time to develop.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Most Spanish speaking immigrants to the US have native American ancestry to a greater or lesser degree (mexico and central American working classes). I think a lot of people in the US are unaware that a large number of people in latin America have either entirely or almost entirely European ancestry.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

If you're really woke you pronounce it Latin Equis.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2020, 05:50:45 AM
Quote from: katmai on February 25, 2020, 12:11:28 AM
middle one

Yep.  It's pronounced "ten."

Cory Booker pronounces it "Latin Diez"
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on February 25, 2020, 10:43:57 AM

If you're really woke you pronounce it Latin Equis.

But not a Latin (Erasmus) pronunciation, makes sense though I first associated Latin Equis (marking the spot) with Equus.

Pretty damning if wiki is to be believed. Latinx sounds like the typical US Identity Politics jargon that should stay at most, US-only. Seems headed this way for now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latinx#Criticism

QuoteThe term Latinx has been criticized for being used almost exclusively in the United States and for being virtually non-existent in Spanish-speaking countries.[15] A 2016 HuffPost article stated, "Many opponents of the term have suggested that using an un-gendered noun like Latinx is disrespectful to the Spanish language and some have even called the term 'a blatant form of linguistic imperialism.'"[33][15] In a 2017 article for the Los Angeles Times, Daniel Hernandez wrote "The term is used mostly by an educated minority, largely in the U.S."[34]

Some refuse to use the term, as Latinx "doesn't roll off the tongue" in the Spanish language.[33]

Another argument against Latinx is that "it erases feminist movements in the 1970s" that fought for use of the word Latina to represent women.[24]

Hector Luis Alamo described the term as a "bulldozing of Spanish".[13] In a 2015 article for Latino Rebels, Alamo wrote: "If we dump Latino for Latinx because it offends some people, then we should go on dumping words forever since there will always be some people who find some words offensive.[35]

Nicole Trujillo-Pagán has argued that patriarchal bias is reproduced in ostensibly "gender neutral" language[36][37][38] and asserted, "Less clear in the debate (as it has developed since then) is how the replacement silences and erases long-standing struggles to recognize the significance of gender difference and sexual violence."[39]

The term Latinx was rejected in 2018 by the Royal Spanish Academy, the main authority on the Spanish language.[24][31]

Some disability rights activists have raised accessibility concerns with Latinx and its alternative Latin@ because they cannot be pronounced by screen readers used by the blind and visually impaired.[40]

The Larch

Over here the form "latin@" would have been used instead, that was the cool thing back in the 00s.  :P