News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Defining Latino

Started by Admiral Yi, February 24, 2020, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

In case anyone wants to continue the discussion.

I think it's on a scale.  Some people and places are more Latino than others.  Belize has some Latino qualities but just misses the cutoff.  Chile isn't terribly Latino but gets in by virtue of language and geography.  The epicenters of Latino-ness are the Spanish Main (Venezuela and Colombia) and the River Plate (Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, and Argentina).  Everybody dancing up a storm, speaking their language, all that beautiful corruption and bad government.  The world capital of Latino is Miami.

dps

I'll stand by my definition that Latinos are people from Latin America who live in the US.

The Minsky Moment

That's all nice but the real question is this: Are you Latino if you speak Ladino?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

You could be a Latino Jew though. :hmm:

Admiral Yi

I met a Mexican Jew at Georgetown my freshman year.  Always wore a dress shirt, slacks, and dress shoes to class.  Always carried a brief case too.

Caliga

A lot of Jews settled Mexico back in the day.  I think they have mostly been'fully integrated' by now though, unlike the Mennonites who settled there and still have distinct communities.

The Larch

Louis CK's father is (was?) a Mexican jew of Hungarian origin, in fact the CK is a portmanteau of his real surname, Szekely.

So, where do Spaniards fit in the Latino/Hispanic terminology?  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2020, 07:27:20 PM
So, where do Spaniards fit in the Latino/Hispanic terminology?  :P

To me, not at all.  To me, Latino starts with Latin America.  It's a precondition.

Monoriu

My understanding is anybody who is originally from Mexico and south of Mexico, and speaks Spanish.  And I mean recent centuries, not pre-Spain. 

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2020, 07:33:32 PM
To me, not at all.  To me, Latino starts with Latin America.  It's a precondition.
How do you feel about Mexicans of purely Spanish descent?  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on February 24, 2020, 09:15:13 PM
How do you feel about Mexicans of purely Spanish descent?  :hmm:

5/10, 6/10, somewhere in there.  I'd like at least some Indian blood but you can't have everything.

Monoriu

Quote from: 11B4V on February 24, 2020, 08:11:06 PM
Burrito

Ahh yes Burritos was my first impression of Latinos when I stayed in Berkeley for a few months.  Ever since I first tasted a Burrito, I thought Latinos is a wonderful addition to the world. 

Caliga

What about Dominicans?  Are they Latino?