News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Defining Latino

Started by Admiral Yi, February 24, 2020, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on February 24, 2020, 09:24:20 PM
What about Dominicans?  Are they Latino?

I don't know Cal, what do you think? :)

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on February 24, 2020, 07:55:35 PM
My understanding is anybody who is originally from Mexico and south of Mexico, and speaks Spanish.  And I mean recent centuries, not pre-Spain.

I think "Latino" includes Portuguese-speaking Brazilians.  It probably also includes people from French Guiana, though they don't usually come to mind.

People from Belize, who speak English, are more debatable.  And I give up when trying to think about Curacao.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Caliga on February 24, 2020, 09:24:20 PM
What about Dominicans?  Are they Latino?

I would suppose some are.  AFAIK, Catholic monastic orders don't much care about their members' ethnic backgrounds.  :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on February 24, 2020, 09:23:12 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 24, 2020, 08:11:06 PM
Burrito

Ahh yes Burritos was my first impression of Latinos when I stayed in Berkeley for a few months.  Ever since I first tasted a Burrito, I thought Latinos is a wonderful addition to the world.

Mexican food is awesome.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 24, 2020, 11:31:21 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 24, 2020, 09:23:12 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 24, 2020, 08:11:06 PM
Burrito

Ahh yes Burritos was my first impression of Latinos when I stayed in Berkeley for a few months.  Ever since I first tasted a Burrito, I thought Latinos is a wonderful addition to the world.

Mexican food is awesome.

I agree, but it is very difficult to find decent Mexican food in HK.  Cheesecake factory is the best we have. 

DGuller

On a related note, what is "Latinx"?  It seems to currently be in vogue among the woke.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

How do you pronounce it?  Latinks?  Latin X?  Latink?

katmai

Quote from: DGuller on February 25, 2020, 12:02:50 AM
How do you pronounce it?  Latinks?  Latin X?  Latink?
middle one
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

Quote from: Monoriu on February 24, 2020, 11:41:02 PM
I agree, but it is very difficult to find decent Mexican food in HK.  Cheesecake factory is the best we have.
I have discovered one (1) good taco place in London which has just opened and is excellent. It's a huge gap.

There's a decent vegan Mexican pub in Hackney (which is possibly the most Hackney thing) too. But aside from that it's very limited.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

There's something like 135 different "races" rich Americans like to refer to as "latino". You can't just group everything from the Rio Grande to Punta Arenas together.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

It's funny really that the distinction still exists in the US. In the UK the South / North European split just isn't seen as much of a thing anymore. All of Europe is considered white.
Or is it the large amount of mixing in Latin America part of the neo Latin-mess?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It definitely exists in London. There are a couple of Latin villages which are very much Latin American not Spanish - Elephant and Castle, Tottenham and a big Brazilian community in Stockwell/Kennington way. As I say I'd refer to those communities as Latino.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 25, 2020, 02:32:31 AM
It's funny really that the distinction still exists in the US. In the UK the South / North European split just isn't seen as much of a thing anymore. All of Europe is considered white.
Or is it the large amount of mixing in Latin America part of the neo Latin-mess?

I think what you're doing is running the concept through your very parochial English filter and translating it as "wogs start at Calais." It's not a pejorative term.