And we're back!

Main Menu

Defining Latino

Started by Admiral Yi, February 24, 2020, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 25, 2020, 11:51:06 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2020, 11:41:11 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 11:35:27 AMThough I am shocked, shocked to discover that the members of the Spanish Royal Academy might be conservative on issues of language and grammar :lol:

It's an undue distraction from their most pressing concern, discussing which new words should be added to the dictionary each year, at least 10 years after they've been widely adopted by everybody else.

Sounds like recycled arguments against the Académie Française.  :P
Given the last disastrous spelling reform in Portugal, I am more sympathetic to Language Academies now, since Portugal does not have one. It's not like Brazil could be the torch bearer.

You can be admitted as guests at the Real Academia Galega.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 25, 2020, 11:54:56 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2020, 11:00:33 AM
Over here the form "latin@" would have been used instead, that was the cool thing back in the 00s.  :P

Latinarroba does not sound very flattering.  :lol:

It only really works in writing, same as latinx.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2020, 11:56:58 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 11:35:27 AMThough I am shocked, shocked to discover that the members of the Spanish Royal Academy might be conservative on issues of language and grammar :lol:

It's an undue distraction from their most pressing concern, discussing which new words should be added to the dictionary each year, at least 10 years after they've been widely adopted by everybody else.

Given the last disastrous spelling reform in Portugal, I am more sympathetic to Language Academies now, since Portugal does not have one. It's not like Brazil could be the torch bearer.

Wrong academy, surely you meant this one:

https://academiagalega.org  :P

Academia Galega da Lingua Portuguesa. ;)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2020, 11:58:33 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 25, 2020, 11:54:56 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2020, 11:00:33 AM
Over here the form "latin@" would have been used instead, that was the cool thing back in the 00s.  :P

Latinarroba does not sound very flattering.  :lol:

It only really works in writing, same as latinx.

I know, j/k. Identity Politics activists in France came up with similarly unpronounceable ideas.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 25, 2020, 12:01:47 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2020, 11:56:58 AM

Wrong academy, surely you meant this one:

https://academiagalega.org  :P

Didn't even know that one existed.

The Brain

I don't think you need to be loud to be Latino.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

FWIW the Census does tracks Hispanic status as its own thing.

So you fill out a section on race/ethnicity, and would select Black, White, or the 5-6 other ethnicities they list. Then there's another box asking if you identify as Hispanic. You often see these phrases thrown around a lot when talking about population demographics.

Most pundits for example say America is no longer going to be a majority white nation because they're talking about the "non-Hispanic White" population. If you actually include Hispanics who identify as White, something like 72% of Americans self-identify as White as of the last census. Even more surprising to many is that number has been estimated to have risen to 73%, again because of the large proportion of White Hispanics who absolutely view themselves as racially white but culturally Hispanic. My understanding is black Hispanics come from basically the slave populations in what was Spain's overseas Empire. There's a lot of black Cubans for example and when they emigrate to the United States they would fill out the census "black" and "Hispanic."

We then also ask about ancestry groups which there's a massive list of those. One of the funnier things is among white Americans German has been the most reported ancestry group for ages, but most demographers are pretty sure the real answer is "English" as the most common ancestry group for white Americans. But such a weird shift in American thinking happened over the 19th century that the vast majority of English ancestry Americans basically just identify as "American" ancestry. The thing is if your last name ends in a vowel or is a quasi-Anglicized German (your Muellers and such) name you can hang your hat on being a little different, so those people select German or Italian ancestry (admittedly Italian-Americans are a little more likely to have met in their lifetimes a grandparent or great-grandparent that was from the old country), but if your last name is Baker or Smith or Reynolds there's no real human interest there, so you're just "American."

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 04:18:00 AM
I think that varies widely in Latin America.

That sounds like a very Argentine/Uruguayan attitude (who most other Latin Americans think is pretty racist).

The socio-economic status of white elites is very ingrained and a result of history, but my understanding is that, for example in Brazil, there's a culture of taking a lot of pride in being a very racially mixed country. Similarly in Mexico there's a really stark difference between the people you see on TVs and the people you see on the street. The elite is white, but the culture is one of taking pride in Mexico's indigenous and, again, mixed heritage. I think it's similar in the Andes and Caribbean too.

From time to time my Venezuelan gf would say something about the blackness/nativeness of a group, which was puzzling to me, since she is clearly of mixed ancestry (if relatively light).

dps

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2020, 07:38:18 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2020, 07:03:20 AM

I still think it's weird when they're both descended from the same stock and the real difference is a lifestyle choice.  Like calling surf bums or skate punks an ethnic group.

I guess, if you classify it as a lifestyle choice, then having a negative opinion about it is okay. Which would be awkward.

Plus, you can't claim special legal privileges to live in various antisocial ways.

Pretty sure that in the US, you have the legal right to be a surf bum or skater punk if you want, no special privileges necessary.

Though legalities aside, I'm not sure how practical it would be to be a surf bum in the UK.

Tamas

Quote from: dps on February 25, 2020, 03:42:03 PM

I still think it's weird when they're both descended from the same stock and the real difference is a lifestyle choice.  Like calling surf bums or skate punks an ethnic group.

I guess, if you classify it as a lifestyle choice, then having a negative opinion about it is okay. Which would be awkward.

Plus, you can't claim special legal privileges to live in various antisocial ways.

Pretty sure that in the US, you have the legal right to be a surf bum or skater punk if you want, no special privileges necessary.

Though legalities aside, I'm not sure how practical it would be to be a surf bum in the UK.

The thing is though that Travelers get special provisions like allowed to live like bums in their caravan camps.

dps

Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2020, 08:02:01 AM

The thing is though that Travelers get special provisions like allowed to live like bums in their caravan camps.

What privileges, exactly?  All kidding aside, legit question that I don't know the answer to.

Tamas

Quote from: dps on February 26, 2020, 08:24:15 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2020, 08:02:01 AM

What privileges, exactly?  All kidding aside, legit question that I don't know the answer to.

I just remember reading how they can get permits to move around and settle temporarily with their nomadic caravans, but I have never looked up the details.

Admiral Yi

Just got my census letter in the mail, am responding online, thought y'all might be interested in the wording of the Latino page.

Is [Admiral Yi] of Latino, Hispanic, or Spanish origin?
  [ ] No, not of Latino, Hispanic or Spanish origin.
  [ ] Yes, Mexican, Mexican-American, Chicano.
  [ ] Yes, Puerto Rican.
  [ ] Yes, Cuban.
  [ ] Yes, another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin.
       Enter, for example Salvadorean, Guatemalan, etc.

The Larch