News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Defining Latino

Started by Admiral Yi, February 24, 2020, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Americans think it's dumb, too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

The new trend in politically correct Spanish is to use femenine plural forms to refer to groups of people. It's actually gramatically correct, if odd ("las [personas] latinas" = "latino [people]").

Valmy

In French every person has always been feminine. Just shows how progressive they are -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2020, 11:15:10 AM
The new trend in politically correct Spanish is to use femenine plural forms to refer to groups of people. It's actually gramatically correct, if odd ("las [personas] latinas" = "latino [people]").

What about latines, then?

Sheilbh

What are the pronouns for a non-binary person in Spanish?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 11:22:15 AM

Ending on -e or -es.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2020, 07:38:18 AM

Plus, you can't claim special legal privileges to live in various antisocial ways.

Like Hell I can't!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 11:22:15 AM

Grammatically those don't exist* and there's a zillion proposals none of which has gained enough traction. There's the @ that Larchie said (doesn't work in spoken language) the x thing (very weird in Spanish), and using -e as a neutral gender mark (probably the one that makes most sense and would fit better with the language).

Official position of the Spanish Royal Academy (which is made up of a bunch of old people) is that grammatical gender =/ actual gender and nothing should be changed.

*Well, it does, but it's very similar in most usages to masculine so it doesn't really work for non-binary purposes.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2020, 11:33:30 AM
Official position of the Spanish Royal Academy (which is made up of a bunch of old people) is that grammatical gender =/ actual gender and nothing should be changed.
How does that work for someone who identifies as non-binary (so they/them in English)? :mellow:

Though I am shocked, shocked to discover that the members of the Spanish Royal Academy might be conservative on issues of language and grammar :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 11:35:27 AM
How does that work for someone who identifies as non-binary (so they/them in English)? :mellow:

Though I am shocked, shocked to discover that the members of the Spanish Royal Academy might be conservative on issues of language and grammar :lol:

Well, I'll clarify. The official neutral pronoun for Spanish is "ello". But a) in most usages ends up being very similar to masculine b) it's supposed to be used on *things* not people, so it doesn't really work when your intention is to make non-binary people feel accepted.  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 11:35:27 AMThough I am shocked, shocked to discover that the members of the Spanish Royal Academy might be conservative on issues of language and grammar :lol:

It's an undue distraction from their most pressing concern, discussing which new words should be added to the dictionary each year, at least 10 years after they've been widely adopted by everybody else.

Valmy

Quotethe x thing (very weird in Spanish)

Yeah I find the LatinX thing a little obnoxious since it seems like it is English speakers applying an English thing to Spanish since we have decided Spanish is too sexist or something. So we fixed Spanish for you! You are welcome Spanish speakers.

But hey if it gets widespread use I will use it. It makes it sound like everybody is related to Malcolm X.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2020, 11:41:11 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 11:35:27 AMThough I am shocked, shocked to discover that the members of the Spanish Royal Academy might be conservative on issues of language and grammar :lol:

It's an undue distraction from their most pressing concern, discussing which new words should be added to the dictionary each year, at least 10 years after they've been widely adopted by everybody else.

Sounds like recycled arguments against the Académie Française.  :P
Given the last disastrous spelling reform in Portugal, I am more sympathetic to Language Academies now, since Portugal does not have one. It's not like Brazil could be the torch bearer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2020, 11:38:37 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2020, 11:35:27 AM

Well, I'll clarify. The official neutral pronoun for Spanish is "ello". But a) in most usages ends up being very similar to masculine b) it's supposed to be used on *things* not people, so it doesn't really work when your intention is to make non-binary people feel accepted.  :lol:

Hardly surprising, masculine and neutral were already close in Latin, only differing in the accusative, and neutral being about inanimate things originally, with many exceptions of course. Otherwise, it would not be fun.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2020, 11:00:33 AM
Over here the form "latin@" would have been used instead, that was the cool thing back in the 00s.  :P

Latinarroba does not sound very flattering.  :lol: