News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2010, 04:14:42 PM
The Borg were never an "unknown evil" - everything about them was explained in their very first episode.
Maybe not unknown, but seldomly seen.
QuoteWhat made them less interesting is the number of times they were easily defeated by Star Fleet.  But even then First Contact managed to make them scary again.
Once?  Twice if you count Lore's Borg, at least before First Contact fucked them up, and then Voyager ended them as a credible threat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2010, 04:14:42 PM
The Borg were never an "unknown evil" - everything about them was explained in their very first episode.

I thought the Borg Queen came later.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on February 21, 2010, 02:37:23 PM
I thought the shadows were actually interesting, for a few reasons. first, their philosophy wasn't clearcut evil; it was more like someone weeding a garden to ensure that the best plants can flourish. Secondly, they were supposed to be a bit childish.

I thought they were quite dull once it was revealed that them and the Vorlons were virtually interchangeable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2010, 08:04:26 PM
I thought the shadows were actually interesting, for a few reasons. first, their philosophy wasn't clearcut evil; it was more like someone weeding a garden to ensure that the best plants can flourish. Secondly, they were supposed to be a bit childish.
I thought they were quite dull once it was revealed that them and the Vorlons were virtually interchangeable.
Rather than making the Shadows lame, I felt that made the Vorlons more interesting.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on February 21, 2010, 08:25:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2010, 08:04:26 PM
Rather than making the Shadows lame, I felt that made the Vorlons more interesting.
I agree with this.  The Vorlons and Shadows were both a lot more interesting once the black-and-white appearances faded to gray.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

viper37

Quote from: Agelastus on February 20, 2010, 05:24:38 PM
And I'm not a knee-jerk, "old is better" guy. Before it went off the rails after New Caprica, I had a lot of time for the new Starbuck, and I loved what they'd done with the Boomer character. :wub:
Yeah, that was a total waste for such a good show.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on February 21, 2010, 08:01:27 PM
Once?  Twice if you count Lore's Borg, at least before First Contact fucked them up, and then Voyager ended them as a credible threat.
1st encounter.  Enterprise is saved by Q.
2nd encounter, Wolf 359.
3rd encounter, U.
4th encounter, Lore.
5th encouter, First Contact and the Queen.

there was a natural evolution, where the Borg went from the ultimate evil that can't be destroyed, to the one where they are easily dealt with.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Queequeg

Seems to be immediate improvement now that the 3rd Season is over.  Gaius Baltar as Sexy-Ad-Hoc-Jesus is great, and there are some interesting dynamics among the semi-Final Five.   And that Irish character is gone-hurray!
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

viper37

Received my Blu Ray discs yesterday.

There's real difference between the visuals of Season 2 on Blu Ray and Season 1 on HD-DVD.  I was told the image would be less grainy, despite it being the intent of the producers, but that's not really true.

Anyway, it's really nice to see the entire show on HD.  And of course, this being season 2, the show is still very good.

I'm on the 4th episode so far, and I quite like it.

On the downside... every time you restart the show, you have to see Ron D. Moore's speech about how he's proud of his technoligical marvel.  I think once would have been enough.

Queequeg

Currently at episode 4 of Season 4.  Much improved from the incredibly shitty post-New Caprica last season, still not totally up to Season 2 levels.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

That said, the writing quality has declined substantially.  I'm reasonably sure I could have improved it, very depressing.   :(

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on February 24, 2010, 12:42:54 PM
Received my Blu Ray discs yesterday.

There's real difference between the visuals of Season 2 on Blu Ray and Season 1 on HD-DVD.  I was told the image would be less grainy, despite it being the intent of the producers, but that's not really true.

Anyway, it's really nice to see the entire show on HD.  And of course, this being season 2, the show is still very good.

First season was shot on film, unlike the following ones (HD video then treated to get a grittier picture).

The real difference for me was the DTS HD Master audio track which easily beats the True Hd even on a stereo only set.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2010, 10:41:55 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 21, 2010, 08:01:27 PM
1st encounter.  Enterprise is saved by Q.
2nd encounter, Wolf 359.
3rd encounter, U.
4th encounter, Lore.
5th encouter, First Contact and the Queen.

there was a natural evolution, where the Borg went from the ultimate evil that can't be destroyed, to the one where they are easily dealt with.
U doesn't count, as there was a single Borg drone in the episode.  Lore's Borg weren't real Borg.  And you're skipping the most critical part of the pussification of the Borg:  Star Trek Voyager.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on February 25, 2010, 09:36:57 AM
U doesn't count, as there was a single Borg drone in the episode.  Lore's Borg weren't real Borg.  And you're skipping the most critical part of the pussification of the Borg:  Star Trek Voyager.
What is this 'Voyager' you speak of?  I do not know of anything called 'Voyager'.  'Voyager' does not exist in my own universe.