And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 25, 2010, 10:05:02 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 25, 2010, 09:36:57 AM
U doesn't count, as there was a single Borg drone in the episode.  Lore's Borg weren't real Borg.  And you're skipping the most critical part of the pussification of the Borg:  Star Trek Voyager.
What is this 'Voyager' you speak of?  I do not know of anything called 'Voyager'.  'Voyager' does not exist in my own universe.
That's the way I am about that Q thing you mentioned.  A Q is a plot device for writers too hackish to bother creating something interesting, and we know that no such thing could (or need) exist in the true ST universe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2010, 10:09:58 AM
That's the way I am about that Q thing you mentioned.  A Q is a plot device for writers too hackish to bother creating something interesting, and we know that no such thing could (or need) exist in the true ST universe.
Given that Q appears in the first episode of TNG, wich was written by Gene Roddenburry, I think you are wrong :)

Also, there has been similar alien entities with god like powers in the past ST universe.

Now, you tell me Q was over used in the entire series, I'll agree with you.  I remember at least once in TNG and once in DS9 were Q didn't need to be there at all.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: viper37 on February 25, 2010, 12:31:27 PM
Given that Q appears in the first episode of TNG, wich was written by Gene Roddenburry, I think you are wrong :)

Roddenberry is a hack

citizen k

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on February 25, 2010, 12:40:22 PM

Roddenberry is a hack

Roddenberry: Ron Moore of his generation?

grumbler

I think your facts are far likelier to make people support my position than the reverse.  As a writer, Roddenberry was a mediocre producer.

QuoteAlso, there has been similar alien entities with god like powers in the past ST universe.
None written so badly.  Previous godlike beings were used by decent writers to make specific points, not to dodge them.  Hell, TNG had one of the best shows about the implications of omnipotence ever.

QuoteNow, you tell me Q was over used in the entire series, I'll agree with you.  I remember at least once in TNG and once in DS9 were Q didn't need to be there at all.
We disagree on the number of times he shouldn't have been used, that's all.  :hug:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2010, 02:05:47 PM
I think your facts are far likelier to make people support my position than the reverse.  As a writer, Roddenberry was a mediocre producer.
I'm not saying Roddenburry was a genius like Lucas... ahem, wrong point, delete that :D
I'm only saying that, as the man who wrote the Star Trek universe, it feels kinda silly for us to say this or that doesn't belong in that universe.  It's his universe, so he gotta know about what belongs or not in his own vision.

We disagree on the number of times he shouldn't have been used, that's all.  :hug:
That's it :) :D

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Queequeg

Romo Lampkin is infuriatingly awful.   :yucky:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Grallon

Quote from: Queequeg on February 25, 2010, 03:22:48 PM
Romo Lampkin is infuriatingly awful.   :yucky:

What the hell are you talking about!?  Romo is awsome.

Oh wait - you're one of those who think HBO's 'Rome' is a classic. *shakes head*

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 25, 2010, 02:38:34 PM
I'm only saying that, as the man who wrote the Star Trek universe, it feels kinda silly for us to say this or that doesn't belong in that universe.  It's his universe, so he gotta know about what belongs or not in his own vision.
Oh, I was just playing alojng with your "there is no Voyager" bit.  In reality, alas, there was both Q and Voyager (though I'd watch a random Voyager episode before the random Q episode).

Bayraktar!

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2010, 05:43:13 PM
Oh, I was just playing alojng with your "there is no Voyager" bit.  In reality, alas, there was both Q and Voyager (though I'd watch a random Voyager episode before the random Q episode).

What about the Voyager episodes with Q?

Queequeg

Quote from: Grallon on February 25, 2010, 05:09:37 PM

What the hell are you talking about!?  Romo is awsome.

Oh wait - you're one of those who think HBO's 'Rome' is a classic. *shakes head*
G.
If you think I care at all about your opinion on cultural matters, you are sadly mistaken.  You make Martinus look like the witty,  urbane sophisticate he thinks he is. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

I'm not so sure.  There were at least two good Q episodes:  The one with the Borg and the series finale.  Even if there were two good Voyager episodes, your odds of watching one in the sea of filth is much smaller.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: Queequeg on February 25, 2010, 05:53:06 PM

If you think I care at all about your opinion on cultural matters, you are sadly mistaken.  You make Martinus look like the witty,  urbane sophisticate he thinks he is.

Spellus has rejoined Raz in pill induced moral grand standing.  :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Cerr

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2010, 02:05:47 PM
Hell, TNG had one of the best shows about the implications of omnipotence ever.
Which episode are you referring to?

viper37

well, in fact, there were good episodes of Voyage.  The problem is that the series as a whole is no good.