What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 03, 2017, 10:39:57 PM
You said they weren't law abiding. How else am I to interpret that?

Hopefully that there's a law on the books that they are not abiding by.

CountDeMoney

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 03, 2017, 10:50:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 03, 2017, 10:39:57 PM
You said they weren't law abiding. How else am I to interpret that?

Hopefully that there's a law on the books that they are not abiding by.

And which law do you think they're not abiding by? Keeping in mind that the illegal crossing into the US was undertaken when they had no agency since they were children.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 03, 2017, 10:34:24 PM
Interestingly enough, I believe immigration is considered a civil matter, not a criminal matter.

It can be either or both, the law is a bit of a mess.
Illegal entry is a criminal offense, there are others.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 04, 2017, 12:18:06 AM
And which law do you think they're not abiding by? Keeping in mind that the illegal crossing into the US was undertaken when they had no agency since they were children.

If you're going to claim they're not not abiding by laws because they lack agency, by the same token you can't claim they're law abiding.

And of course y'all seem to be overlooking the fact that the Dream people were granted their status based on their age at entry.  Undoubtedly many of them have reached adulthood since then.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 04, 2017, 01:31:59 AM
If you're going to claim they're not not abiding by laws because they lack agency, by the same token you can't claim they're law abiding.

I'm afraid I don't follow.

QuoteAnd of course y'all seem to be overlooking the fact that the Dream people were granted their status based on their age at entry.  Undoubtedly many of them have reached adulthood since then.

I don't think anyone is overlooking that  :huh:

DGuller

Living people tend to age as they get older.

Valmy

And of course y'all seem to be overlooking the fact that the Dream people were granted their status based on their age at entry.  Undoubtedly many of them have reached adulthood since then.

Yes that is the whole point. Somebody was smuggled in as a baby and lived their whole life here as productive citizens...or non-citizens I guess. Then we are going to send them back to someplace where they know nobody and might not even speak the language because of something that happened when they were an infant? I mean there was a reason this program was started in the first place.

Of course I would prefer they overhaul the whole system to more in line with reality but time has a way of solving problems for you. Immigration is way down.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 04, 2017, 01:49:52 AM
I'm afraid I don't follow.

How can one be law-abiding if one lacks agency?

QuoteI don't think anyone is overlooking that  :huh:

I disagree. Included in those Dream kids were people who have reached adulthood and continued to reside and work illegally in the US, in contravention of the law.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 04, 2017, 02:02:54 AM
I disagree. Included in those Dream kids were people who have reached adulthood
:wacko:
That's all of them, it's the whole point of the program. It's aimed at the adults those kids became.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

DGuller

I think Yi's point, which I may add could've been stated uncryptically in a sentence or two instead of being torturously drawn out, is that Dreamers by their very presence are not abiding by the law, and thus can't be called law-abiding.  They should GTFO the moment the clock strikes midnight on their 18th birthday, or forever lose their claim to be law-abiding.

I think this is both pedantic and unconscionably lacking in common sense.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 04, 2017, 02:14:05 AM
I'm done with Timmy.
I don't see how what I said was appreciably different from what Valmy and Dguller said? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

If most Americans think that it should be legal to stay in the US as an adult if you were illegally entered as a kid then why doesn't the law say this?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.