What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Trump and Sessions can scuttle the program or keep it going, or modify it as they wish.  He can implement whatever fix he wants.

The only way this could make sense is if Trump liked the program but had constitutional scruples about implementing it without specific congressional direction.  But Trump has no scruples so that can't be it.

Which means the play here is to kill DACA and take credit with his nativist buddies, make vague claims about wanting to do something for Dreamers, but then tsk-tsk and throw blame on Congress for not getting it down.

What an asshole.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Agree.  It seems impossible to see this as anything other than an extremely cynical move.

But, then, Trumps general policy strategy is something like...

frunk

Tonitrus

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 05, 2017, 02:31:30 PM
Trump and Sessions can scuttle the program or keep it going, or modify it as they wish.  He can implement whatever fix he wants.

The only way this could make sense is if Trump liked the program but had constitutional scruples about implementing it without specific congressional direction.  But Trump has no scruples so that can't be it.

Which means the play here is to kill DACA and take credit with his nativist buddies, make vague claims about wanting to do something for Dreamers, but then tsk-tsk and throw blame on Congress for not getting it down.

What an asshole.

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong here) is that the DACA program was just supposed to be a temporary thing to allow Congress time to come up with a permanent solution, so in that light Trump could be seen as just telling Congress to hurry up and do something.

Given Trump's character (or lack thereof) I think you analysis is much more likely, but I can see the benefit of trying to force Congress to come up with a lasting fix.  Not that I have any confidence in Congress to come up with a good fix, no matter which party is in control.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 05, 2017, 09:44:37 AM
A peepee tape doesn't hit the top 20 of screwed up stuff Trump's done that would have sunk anyone else.  Release of the tape would just be another Reality TV moment he'd shrug off, his people will then spin it as proof he isn't a Russian tool.

Trump said he could shoot someone on fifth avenue and not lose any support.  The man does know one thing:  How to spot a mark.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on September 05, 2017, 05:27:03 PM
My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong here) is that the DACA program was just supposed to be a temporary thing to allow Congress time to come up with a permanent solution, so in that light Trump could be seen as just telling Congress to hurry up and do something.

Yup, just an EO allowing for renewable work permits until a law got passed addressing their unique position of being CRIMINALS through no fault of their own except by their CRIMINAL parents.

QuoteGiven Trump's character (or lack thereof) I think you analysis is much more likely, but I can see the benefit of trying to force Congress to come up with a lasting fix.  Not that I have any confidence in Congress to come up with a good fix, no matter which party is in control.

Thing is, the DACA was supposed to be the first step in establishing a "Pathway to Citizenship", but that has fallen out of favor with the Creepy Ass Crackers.

Monoriu

I didn't know what this dreamer fuss is about.  But I read Obama's message and I am convinced that he is right. 

CountDeMoney

Going to be funny as balls watching a shitload of educated taxpayers getting deported to countries they don't even remember from childhood, let alone even speak the fucking language. 

Not funny ha-ha.  Funny sad.

Monoriu

This just doesn't work.  I am all for enforcement of laws, but it just isn't fair to flip flop on something like this.  Either you are consistent and say from day 1 that illegal immigrants are not accepted.  In this case you don't tax them, don't allow them to open bank accounts, don't let them work etc. 

Or if you accept their taxes, let them work, educate them etc, then there is more than tacit agreement that you allow them to stay.  In which case you, well, let them stay.  What's with taking their taxes for years and decades and then saying you shouldn't be here in the first place?  That's inconsistent, unfair and unworkable. 

CountDeMoney

It's completely consistent, fair and workable, Mono.  Race-based policies always are.  That's all this is really about in the end anyway.

The Minsky Moment

It's also worth keeping in mind that law enforcement resources are not unlimited.  The policy corollary to DACA was dedicating resources to targeting illegals with criminal records.  Trumps admin has already fallen behind in terms of deportation rates.  If you divert or dilute resources to chase the huge DACA population, that means nabbing and processing  fewer  illegals with criminal offenses.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 05, 2017, 11:18:00 PM
If you divert or dilute resources to chase the huge DACA population, that means nabbing and processing  fewer  illegals with criminal offenses.

Yeah, but the DACAs will be the easiest fish in the barrel, what with tell-tale giveaways like home addresses on tax returns.  And cops will always go for the easiest lockups.