What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on September 04, 2017, 02:42:20 AM
If most Americans think that it should be legal to stay in the US as an adult if you were illegally entered as a kid then why doesn't the law say this?

Because the law has been outdated and unreformed for decades despite many efforts to change it. It was one of Dubya's main campaign promises for example. Sort of like how most Americans think Pot should be legal. It takes an overwhelming majority to really get any laws changed and passed around here.

So when the laws no longer reflect reality you come up with little ersatz ways to make them come in line with practice.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2017, 02:44:55 AM
If most Americans think that it should be legal to stay in the US as an adult if you were illegally entered as a kid then why doesn't the law say this?

Because the law has been outdated and unreformed for decades despite many efforts to change it. It was one of Dubya's main campaign promises for example. Sort of like how most Americans think Pot should be legal. It takes an overwhelming majority to really get any laws changed and passed around here.

So when the laws no longer reflect reality you come up with little ersatz ways to make them come in line with practice.

Pol or regular?

Anyway I sometimes get the feeling that the US isn't a healthy vibrant democracy (and no "republic!!!111" BS plz). Surely I'm mistaken.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

78% of registered voters think the Dreamers should stay Valmy

https://morningconsult.com/2017/06/16/poll-trumps-decision-dreamers-popular-one-even-among-base/

But as long as the hard right will come out in GOP primaries to punish politicians that support the congress won't back it, no matter how big the majority is.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 04, 2017, 02:37:23 AM
You made crazy face.
That's equivalent to tacking on an extra exclamation point.

Emojis are every where these days. Hardly seems like something to raise a fuss over.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 04, 2017, 02:35:05 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 04, 2017, 02:14:05 AM
I'm done with Timmy.
I don't see how what I said was appreciably different from what Valmy and Dguller said? :unsure:

Yi is going out of his way to be a cunt, as he would say.  Just let it wash over you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

bogh

How about arguing the merits of expelling these people instead of the semantics of whether they are "law abiding"?

mongers

Quote from: bogh on September 04, 2017, 06:08:56 AM
How about arguing the merits of expelling these people instead of the semantics of whether they are "law abiding"?

That is not the 'Languish way'  :P

Oh and welcome back Bogh, how are you doing?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

bogh

Doing well. Moved back to Denmark (from New Zealand), busy working, raising kids, playing board games.

Still lurking here a fair bit, just not really posting much.

Liep

Quote from: bogh on September 04, 2017, 07:30:39 AM
Doing well. Moved back to Denmark (from New Zealand), busy working, raising kids, playing board games.

Welcome back then!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

bogh

Enough!

Back to arguing the meaning of law abiding!

mongers

Quote from: bogh on September 04, 2017, 07:30:39 AM

Excellent.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DontSayBanana

Because laws in the US are passed by committee, not by plebiscite. And right now, the committees are all led by an over-represented minority that's figured out how to game the system.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 04, 2017, 09:26:08 AM

Because laws in the US are passed by committee, not by plebiscite. And right now, the committees are all led by an over-represented minority that's figured out how to game the system.

Fucking minorities. <_<

CountDeMoney

Quote from: bogh on September 04, 2017, 06:08:56 AM

Because Real AmericansTM can't stomach the concept that someone as lowly as melon crop pickers could possibly be "getting one over on them" by breaking the law and getting away with it, unless it's finance or corporate governance.  Then those people are celebrated as examples of being "a successful businessman."