What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Been gone for two weeks, have i missed anything important?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on September 06, 2017, 12:04:43 AM

Not unless you live in East Texas or Louisiana.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: katmai on September 06, 2017, 12:04:43 AM

The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant  :hug:

jimmy olsen

36 page anaylsis of Trump and his buisness empire. The Conclusion is dire

https://www.citizen.org/system/files/case_documents/president_trump_inc.pdf

QuoteConclusion

Donald Trump's attempt to separate himself from his businesses has been cosmetic at best. The risk of self-dealing, conflicts and corruption is just as great as if there were no separation at all.
Making matters worse, the 278e form presents more questions than answers. The ambiguity and imprecision of the form provides few insights into the financial health of both the president and his businesses.

Throughout his business career, Trump has been a boom and bust businessman – filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection 11 times.123

If his business approaches another bust moment while he is president, it is hard to imagine Trump – who has exhibited so little restraint both as a businessman and now as president – not succumbing to the temptation to use the powers of his office to benefit his private interests.

In many ways, the Trump presidency is the natural culmination of the decades-long stranglehold of wealthy individuals and corporations over public policy. But Trump has taken the standard model a step further: He has cut out the middleman – the lowly elected official – who by Trump's own admission typically needed to be greased to make the whole process work. 124 As president, Trump now has immense power to dictate policy and direct funds to his businesses, or to others who in turn can repay him through his businesses.

The knowledge that he is still ultimately in control of his businesses alone is enough to invite corruption. If a CEO travels to Washington, D.C., to lobby Trump on legislation or deregulation, the real question is: why wouldn't the CEO stay at Trump's D.C. hotel? "Where are you staying?" may be the first question the president asks.

Trump's financial disclosures reveal roughly 500 active business entities around the globe that trace back to him. As such, the disclosures provide a menu from which wealthy individuals or corporations, foreign or domestic, friend or foe, can select their preferred vehicle to ingratiate themselves to, or gain leverage on, the president of the United States.

It's a recipe for disaster.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Our system is so broken. The majority party in congress is so afraid of that 15% primarying them, that nothing will be done, despite 76% of voters thinking they should stay. :(

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/05/poll-trump-deporting-daca-dreamers-242343

QuoteVoters overwhelmingly support allowing undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as children to stay in the country, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll, placing President Donald Trump's decision to wind down the controversial Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program at odds with public opinion.

A majority of voters, 58 percent, think these undocumented immigrants, also known as Dreamers, should be allowed to stay and become citizens if they meet certain requirements — a sentiment that goes well beyond the existing DACA program. Another 18 percent think they should be allowed to stay and become legal residents, but not citizens. Only 15 percent think they should be removed or deported from the country.

Support for allowing these immigrants to remain in the U.S. spans across party lines: 84 percent of Democrats, 74 percent of independents and 69 percent of Republicans think they should stay.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

The problem with citing polls to these folks, is that polls were, in their eyes, clearly discredited by the election results.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 06, 2017, 02:07:40 AM
The problem with citing polls to these folks, is that polls were, in their eyes, clearly discredited by the election results.

The polls were off by 1.5%-2%. They performed better than usual to be frank.

It was the analysts that shit the bed.

1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I liked Obama's words

https://www.facebook.com/barackobama/posts/10155227588436749

QuoteImmigration can be a controversial topic. We all want safe, secure borders and a dynamic economy, and people of goodwill can have legitimate disagreements about how to fix our immigration system so that everybody plays by the rules.

But that's not what the action that the White House took today is about. This is about young people who grew up in America – kids who study in our schools, young adults who are starting careers, patriots who pledge allegiance to our flag. These Dreamers are Americans in their hearts, in their minds, in every single way but one: on paper. They were brought to this country by their parents, sometimes even as infants. They may not know a country besides ours. They may not even know a language besides English. They often have no idea they're undocumented until they apply for a job, or college, or a driver's license.

Over the years, politicians of both parties have worked together to write legislation that would have told these young people – our young people – that if your parents brought you here as a child, if you've been here a certain number of years, and if you're willing to go to college or serve in our military, then you'll get a chance to stay and earn your citizenship. And for years while I was President, I asked Congress to send me such a bill.

That bill never came. And because it made no sense to expel talented, driven, patriotic young people from the only country they know solely because of the actions of their parents, my administration acted to lift the shadow of deportation from these young people, so that they could continue to contribute to our communities and our country. We did so based on the well-established legal principle of prosecutorial discretion, deployed by Democratic and Republican presidents alike, because our immigration enforcement agencies have limited resources, and it makes sense to focus those resources on those who come illegally to this country to do us harm. Deportations of criminals went up. Some 800,000 young people stepped forward, met rigorous requirements, and went through background checks. And America grew stronger as a result.

But today, that shadow has been cast over some of our best and brightest young people once again. To target these young people is wrong – because they have done nothing wrong. It is self-defeating – because they want to start new businesses, staff our labs, serve in our military, and otherwise contribute to the country we love. And it is cruel. What if our kid's science teacher, or our friendly neighbor turns out to be a Dreamer? Where are we supposed to send her? To a country she doesn't know or remember, with a language she may not even speak?

Let's be clear: the action taken today isn't required legally. It's a political decision, and a moral question. Whatever concerns or complaints Americans may have about immigration in general, we shouldn't threaten the future of this group of young people who are here through no fault of their own, who pose no threat, who are not taking away anything from the rest of us. They are that pitcher on our kid's softball team, that first responder who helps out his community after a disaster, that cadet in ROTC who wants nothing more than to wear the uniform of the country that gave him a chance. Kicking them out won't lower the unemployment rate, or lighten anyone's taxes, or raise anybody's wages.

It is precisely because this action is contrary to our spirit, and to common sense, that business leaders, faith leaders, economists, and Americans of all political stripes called on the administration not to do what it did today. And now that the White House has shifted its responsibility for these young people to Congress, it's up to Members of Congress to protect these young people and our future. I'm heartened by those who've suggested that they should. And I join my voice with the majority of Americans who hope they step up and do it with a sense of moral urgency that matches the urgency these young people feel.

Ultimately, this is about basic decency. This is about whether we are a people who kick hopeful young strivers out of America, or whether we treat them the way we'd want our own kids to be treated. It's about who we are as a people – and who we want to be.

What makes us American is not a question of what we look like, or where our names come from, or the way we pray. What makes us American is our fidelity to a set of ideals – that all of us are created equal; that all of us deserve the chance to make of our lives what we will; that all of us share an obligation to stand up, speak out, and secure our most cherished values for the next generation. That's how America has traveled this far. That's how, if we keep at it, we will ultimately reach that more perfect union.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2017, 02:18:07 AM

I would say it was the voters that shit the bed.  The analysts may have been wrong, but they have remained sane.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2017, 03:04:34 AM
I liked Obama's words

https://www.facebook.com/barackobama/posts/10155227588436749

QuoteImmigration can be a controversial topic. We all want safe, secure borders and a dynamic economy, and people of goodwill can have legitimate disagreements about how to fix our immigration system so that everybody plays by the rules.

But that's not what the action that the White House took today is about. This is about young people who grew up in America – kids who study in our schools, young adults who are starting careers, patriots who pledge allegiance to our flag. These Dreamers are Americans in their hearts, in their minds, in every single way but one: on paper. They were brought to this country by their parents, sometimes even as infants. They may not know a country besides ours. They may not even know a language besides English. They often have no idea they're undocumented until they apply for a job, or college, or a driver's license.

Over the years, politicians of both parties have worked together to write legislation that would have told these young people – our young people – that if your parents brought you here as a child, if you've been here a certain number of years, and if you're willing to go to college or serve in our military, then you'll get a chance to stay and earn your citizenship. And for years while I was President, I asked Congress to send me such a bill.

That bill never came. And because it made no sense to expel talented, driven, patriotic young people from the only country they know solely because of the actions of their parents, my administration acted to lift the shadow of deportation from these young people, so that they could continue to contribute to our communities and our country. We did so based on the well-established legal principle of prosecutorial discretion, deployed by Democratic and Republican presidents alike, because our immigration enforcement agencies have limited resources, and it makes sense to focus those resources on those who come illegally to this country to do us harm. Deportations of criminals went up. Some 800,000 young people stepped forward, met rigorous requirements, and went through background checks. And America grew stronger as a result.

But today, that shadow has been cast over some of our best and brightest young people once again. To target these young people is wrong – because they have done nothing wrong. It is self-defeating – because they want to start new businesses, staff our labs, serve in our military, and otherwise contribute to the country we love. And it is cruel. What if our kid's science teacher, or our friendly neighbor turns out to be a Dreamer? Where are we supposed to send her? To a country she doesn't know or remember, with a language she may not even speak?

Let's be clear: the action taken today isn't required legally. It's a political decision, and a moral question. Whatever concerns or complaints Americans may have about immigration in general, we shouldn't threaten the future of this group of young people who are here through no fault of their own, who pose no threat, who are not taking away anything from the rest of us. They are that pitcher on our kid's softball team, that first responder who helps out his community after a disaster, that cadet in ROTC who wants nothing more than to wear the uniform of the country that gave him a chance. Kicking them out won't lower the unemployment rate, or lighten anyone's taxes, or raise anybody's wages.

It is precisely because this action is contrary to our spirit, and to common sense, that business leaders, faith leaders, economists, and Americans of all political stripes called on the administration not to do what it did today. And now that the White House has shifted its responsibility for these young people to Congress, it's up to Members of Congress to protect these young people and our future. I'm heartened by those who've suggested that they should. And I join my voice with the majority of Americans who hope they step up and do it with a sense of moral urgency that matches the urgency these young people feel.

Ultimately, this is about basic decency. This is about whether we are a people who kick hopeful young strivers out of America, or whether we treat them the way we'd want our own kids to be treated. It's about who we are as a people – and who we want to be.

What makes us American is not a question of what we look like, or where our names come from, or the way we pray. What makes us American is our fidelity to a set of ideals – that all of us are created equal; that all of us deserve the chance to make of our lives what we will; that all of us share an obligation to stand up, speak out, and secure our most cherished values for the next generation. That's how America has traveled this far. That's how, if we keep at it, we will ultimately reach that more perfect union.

You know, I wasn't very happy with Obama because compared to the radical change he campaigned with, he just ended up quietly steering the ship along the route, not doing much of a fuss either way, not counting trying to introduce civilised healthcare.

But now his style already seems like a bygone era. I miss him. :(

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on September 06, 2017, 07:35:26 AM

You and everyone else.   :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on September 06, 2017, 10:14:24 AM

It's been less than a year, can you believe it? The only thing missing from earlier expectations is WW3 but it certainly isn't the Donald's fault he hasn't delivered on that just yet.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on September 06, 2017, 10:17:56 AM

It's been less than a year, can you believe it? The only thing missing from earlier expectations is WW3 but it certainly isn't the Donald's fault he hasn't delivered on that just yet.

Still have a lot to go.  September just started, plenty of time for Chief of Staff Omarosa Manigault and National Security Advisor Sean Hannity to trigger their war by the end of the month, as I have predicted.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2017, 10:53:12 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 06, 2017, 10:17:56 AM

Still have a lot to go.  September just started, plenty of time for Chief of Staff Omarosa Manigault and National Security Advisor Sean Hannity to trigger their war by the end of the month, as I have predicted.

Yeah, I'd say 'we're' just about on the schedule still.

But look on the brightside, we won't have to worry about an October surprise.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2017, 02:18:07 AM

The polls were off by 1.5%-2%. They performed better than usual to be frank.

Only the analysts shit the bed Tim? Didn't you also shit the bed? And more than just about anyone?  :hmm:

Or do you classify yourself as an analyst?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014