What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The Dreamers have no legal right to stay in the US.  That's a truism given the definition of Dreamers.  The question is whether the law should change, and the second question is even if it does not change, is it a good use of enforcement resources to go after them?

It's already been pointed out here that the needs of post Harvey reconstruction are likely to drive labor shortages.  Is this really the optimal time to start systematically driving out prime age workers, many from that region?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2017, 10:16:46 AM
Is this really the optimal time to start systematically driving out prime age workers, many from that region?

You really have to ask that question, MM?  It's always an optimal time.

QuoteReich Citizenship Law, September 15, 1935

The Reichstag has unanimously enacted the following law, which is promulgated herewith:

§ 1

A subject of the State is a person who enjoys the protection of the German Reich and who in consequence has specific obligations towards it.
The status of subject of the State is acquired in accordance with the provisions of the Reich and State Citizenship Law.

§ 2

A Reich citizen is a subject of the State who is of German or related blood, who proves by his conduct that he is willing and fit faithfully to serve the German people and Reich.
Reich citizenship is acquired through the granting of a Reich Citizenship Certificate.
The Reich citizen is the sole bearer of full political rights in accordance with the Law.

§ 3

The Reich Minister of the Interior, in coordination with the Deputy of the Führer will issue the Legal and Administrative orders required to implement and complete this Law.

Nuremberg, September 15, 1935, at the Reich Party Congress of Freedom
The Führer and Reich Chancellor Adolf Hitler
The Reich Minister of the Interior Frick

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 04, 2017, 07:02:31 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2017, 10:16:46 AM
Is this really the optimal time to start systematically driving out prime age workers, many from that region?

You really have to ask that question, MM?  It's always an optimal time.

QuoteReich Citizenship Law, September 15, 1935

The Reichstag has unanimously enacted the following law, which is promulgated herewith:

§ 1

A subject of the State is a person who enjoys the protection of the German Reich and who in consequence has specific obligations towards it.
The status of subject of the State is acquired in accordance with the provisions of the Reich and State Citizenship Law.

§ 2

A Reich citizen is a subject of the State who is of German or related blood, who proves by his conduct that he is willing and fit faithfully to serve the German people and Reich.
Reich citizenship is acquired through the granting of a Reich Citizenship Certificate.
The Reich citizen is the sole bearer of full political rights in accordance with the Law.

§ 3

The Reich Minister of the Interior, in coordination with the Deputy of the Führer will issue the Legal and Administrative orders required to implement and complete this Law.

Nuremberg, September 15, 1935, at the Reich Party Congress of Freedom
The Führer and Reich Chancellor Adolf Hitler
The Reich Minister of the Interior Frick

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside"

--From Section 1 of the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution.

You're not the only person who can quote citizenship laws.  This particular one is a bit more relevant than yours.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on September 04, 2017, 07:53:04 PM
You're not the only person who can quote citizenship laws.  This particular one is a bit more relevant than yours.

Save it for your book burning, Hannity; you can either have immigrant-based exploitation capitalism, or you can have racially pure citizenship.  You can't have both.

Ed Anger

I'd rather exploit the Helots...err Mexicans.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Stop taunting me damnit!

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/904813776033251328

QuotePolitician on #Russia's state TV urges retaliation:
—"Let's hit Trump with our Kompromat!"
Host: "Do we have it?"
— "Of course we have it!"

6:09 AM - Sep 5, 2017
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: dps on September 04, 2017, 07:53:04 PM
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside"

--From Section 1 of the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Ooh, good one. Now we can talk about how arbitrary the limits on who can be "naturalized" are!
Experience bij!

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 04, 2017, 09:57:43 PM
Stop taunting me damnit!

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/904813776033251328

QuotePolitician on #Russia's state TV urges retaliation:
—"Let's hit Trump with our Kompromat!"
Host: "Do we have it?"
— "Of course we have it!"

6:09 AM - Sep 5, 2017

I doubt any kompromat they have is particularly useful. They'll need to save it for an election. Few people will change their position just because there is a video of someone peeing on Trump or evidence that he's up to his neck in Russian millions. Anything that might move the needle will be swallowed in the "fake news" counter cycle.

Jacob

Quote from: bogh on September 04, 2017, 06:08:56 AM
How about arguing the merits of expelling these people instead of the semantics of whether they are "law abiding"?

They shouldn't be expelled. To do so is callous and economically counter productive.

Jacob

So apparently Canada is going into the next round of NAFTA with the following positions:

QuoteJerry Dias, the leader of Canada's largest private-sector trade union, said Ottawa's negotiators are: pushing Mexico on its corporate-sanctioned unions, which are accused of negotiating collective agreements unfavourable to workers; agitating for both countries to offer a year of paid family leave, as Canada does; and targeting American right-to-work laws that allow workers in unionized shops to refuse to pay dues, draining money from unions.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/canada-demands-us-end-right-to-work-laws-as-part-of-nafta-talks/article36160015/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

We'll see how far we get with that...

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Quote from: bogh on September 04, 2017, 07:30:39 AM
Doing well. Moved back to Denmark (from New Zealand), busy working, raising kids, playing board games.

Still lurking here a fair bit, just not really posting much.

Good to see you :hug:

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 05, 2017, 12:42:49 AM
That's pretty goofy.

Yeah Canada will rightfully run into a brick wall if that's their stance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

bogh

Quote from: Jacob on September 04, 2017, 11:43:12 PM
They shouldn't be expelled. To do so is callous and economically counter productive.

Agreed. But surely someone has a counter argument and a reasoning for why they should be kicked out?

Eddie Teach

Well, there's always the CDM rationale, anything to reduce traffic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?