What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: HVC on September 07, 2017, 09:40:50 PM
He wants to be loved and accepted, something he never got from the the New York elite. If he gets in his head that working with the libs gives him positive coverage he might become the most liberal republican yet :D . Dude is like a 5 year old.

Yeah, well, in the 80s, that might have worked, but this being the age of everybody watching everybody, it's kind of an open secret that Schwarzenegger's going to be tough to dethrone there.
Experience bij!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/349723-trump-gop-relationship-reaches-new-low

QuoteTrump-GOP relationship reaches new low

Trust between President Trump and Republican leaders is at an all-time low.

Republicans on Capitol Hill are in disbelief about how bad things have gotten, and they say they can't recall seeing a worse relationship between a president and congressional leaders of the same party.

Trump's surprise deal with Democrats on Wednesday on the debt ceiling blindsided Republican lawmakers and appeared to be an intentional effort to undermine Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.).

"It is at a low. The deal to push the debt limit to December isn't that big a dea,l but the undercutting appears to be a jab," said a Republican senator who requested anonymity to avoid retaliation from Trump on Twitter.

Some of Trump's closest advisers are making no secret of the president's frustration with Ryan and McConnell.

"Is he annoyed at Republican leadership? Yeah, I think he probably is. And believe me, as a Republican, so am I. As a citizen, I am, too," Trump's budget director, former Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.) said on Fox Business.

"I was promised that they would have repealed and replaced ObamaCare by now," he said.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who faced Trump's wrath after he voted against a bill to repeal parts of ObamaCare, said he couldn't remember a president ever showing such a level of disrespect to leaders of his own party.

"All the news reports show that this is a very unusual time and situation," McCain said, referring to press accounts of the meeting where Trump sided with Democrats.

The 2008 GOP nominee also couldn't remember a president attacking a Senate majority leader of the same party, like Trump did over the August recess when he repeatedly slammed McConnell on Twitter for failing to pass legislation to repeal or replace ObamaCare.

Trump even left dangling the possibility in one conversation with reporters that McConnell might not keep his job for long if he couldn't get some big legislative accomplishments to his desk.

"I haven't seen anything like it before," McCain said.

Across the Capitol, another veteran lawmaker, Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.), said Trump's inconsistency and unpredictability have made it nearly impossible for GOP leaders to project unity.

"There's very little consistency. This makes it difficult for the leadership," Jones told The Hill. "I have been here for over 22 years and have never seen a seven months like these past seven months regarding the uncertainty out of the White House.

"On Monday, he feels this way on the issue. On Tuesday, he feels a different way."

Trump stunned McConnell and Ryan at a White House meeting Wednesday by overruling Ryan, McConnell and his own Treasury secretary by agreeing to a short-term budget deal with Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), who were in the room.

Hours earlier, Ryan had dismissed the Democratic proposal to extend the debt ceiling for only three months as "ridiculous" and "unworkable."

"It was a little bit of a surprise to everybody," said Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn of Texas, McConnell's top deputy.

When asked about his colleagues' views that the relationship between the president and GOP leaders is at an all-time low, Cornyn replied, "I think you have some unique personalities involved."

"We're working our way through it," he said.

A senior GOP leadership aide said McConnell wouldn't let any friction with Trump get in the way of his agenda.

"For McConnell, personal relationships don't affect his desire to get things done, he doesn't need hugs or [to] go out for cocktails," the source said. "That may be important for other people, but not McConnell."

At a press conference Wednesday, McConnell tried to explain Trump's action.

"His feeling was that we needed to come together, to not create a picture of divisiveness at a time of genuine national crisis," he said.

Ryan, too, tried to downplay any divisions with the White House, saying he still believed Trump is a trustworthy negotiating partner who's looking out for the GOP's interests. Trump will host Ryan for dinner at the White House on Thursday evening, a meeting that had been planned over the August recess, aides said.

"Isn't it a good thing that congressional leaders talk? That's probably a pretty good thing," Ryan said of the debt debate that unfolded in the Oval Office meeting.

The ease with which Trump cut GOP leaders out of the loop to strike a deal with Democrats sent a wave of alarm through Republican conferences on Capitol Hill.

"I don't think it's the president going rogue, but I think the president needs to be a little more explicit, giving [Republicans] a warning of the direction he's going," Rep. Tim Walberg (R-Mich.) told The Hill. "I hope in the future, he'll at least step to the side of the room with leadership and say, 'This is what I'm thinking.' "

Trump's unilateral actions have raised concerns about whether Republicans can trust the president in future high-stakes talks. Already there are signs that Trump may pursue a side deal with Democrats on immigration.

Schumer announced on the Senate floor Thursday morning that Trump called him and asked how he could help advance legislation that would protect from deportation an estimated 800,000 immigrants who came to the country illegally as children.

Schumer urged Trump to put pressure on McConnell and Ryan to bring the Dream Act, which would create a path to legal status for these immigrants, to the floor.

"He said he wanted to help in the Dream Act, and there are many ways to help," Schumer said.

That put GOP leaders on the defensive.

"The minority leader doesn't set the Senate schedule and the Dream Act — we're not going to vote on the Dream Act as a stand-alone," Cornyn told reporters.

When asked if Trump is a good negotiating partner for Republicans on Capitol Hill, Senate Finance Chairman Orrin Hatch quipped, "How could we have a better one?"

"He's an art-of-the-deal guy," the Utah Republican added, referring to the title of one of Trump's books. "Actually, I don't know why he did that."

Hatch said he hopes Trump will be a reliable future negotiator but added "I think it would be better to have us there," referring to fellow GOP leaders.

A former White House official said Trump "hit the easy button" in striking a deal with Schumer and Pelosi, rather than leaders from his own party.

"He didn't want to have this be the fight. I don't think he truly trusts anyone, but I also don't think this was an attempt to stick it to Republican leadership," the official said.

Trump's primary motivation, the official said, was to "clear the deck" to work on other priorities like tax reform and immigration.

The Washington Post reported Thursday that Trump and Schumer also made a gentlemen's agreement to do away with the debt ceiling, a tool that Republicans historically have used as leverage to win spending reforms.

But Ryan quickly rejected the idea of eliminating the debt ceiling on Thursday morning.

GOP aides say Trump has forced Ryan to choose between loyalty to the president and the wishes of his 240-member conference.

Former Trump campaign staffer Sam Nunberg acknowledged the president's strained relationship with GOP leaders, but said it was "boneheaded" for him to deal with Democrats.

But Nunberg faulted Ryan and McConnell for not offering up a compelling fiscal package for Trump.

"While he remains extremely frustrated with Republican leadership, the leadership can complain all they want but they offered him nothing except for a long-term extension," Nunberg said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Trump does know that these people may hold his life in their hands one day, right?  I can imagine that during the impeachment trial Marco Rubio saying "He really shouldn't have called me lil'Marco".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Liep on September 08, 2017, 04:01:38 AM
Our new Trump appointed ambassador:

She has excellent experience spending her late husband's money . . .

This is a good example of the "swamp" Trump was supposed to drain.  She has no relevant experience or qualifications.  Since retiring from her chiropractic practice 20 years ago, she's done nothing but spend her husband's money on art, clothes, and "philanthropy".   She got the appointment for one reason and one reason only - she bundled a ton of cash for Trump's campaign.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

I do have to say the far left political groups that are always spamming me for support are starting to say very bizarre pro-Trump things like demanding he do certain things in his dismantling of NAFTA, which is of course the worst most Capitalistically evil thing evah :bleeding:

So maybe Trump will have buddies over there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2017, 02:01:21 PM
I do have to say the far left political groups that are always spamming me for support are starting to say very bizarre pro-Trump things like demanding he do certain things in his dismantling of NAFTA, which is of course the worst most Capitalistically evil thing evah :bleeding:

So maybe Trump will have buddies over there.

There was always the possibility of Trump trying to truly triangulate and pick up significant left-ish support.  That was in fact Bannon's entire thesis of Trump supporting "economic nationalism".  It's just that for his first 6 months he had stayed with traditional Republican themes.

That being said I very much doubt this is any well-thought out "triangulation", and is instead just Trump thinking in the very short-term without thinking through the longer implications.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Does Trump realize that he needs Republicans on his side to keep himself from getting impeached?  Or does he think that Chuck will save him?

Ed Anger

I'm awaiting crazy Mika and dumb Joe to flip flop again and suck up to Trump again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 08, 2017, 07:59:28 PM
I'm awaiting crazy Mika and dumb Joe to flip flop again and suck up to Trump again.

Doubt it.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

FunkMonk

Ah, the mythical pivot.

God bless ARE PRESIDENT
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

derspiess

Trump announced yesterday that he nominated a close friend of mine for US Marshal.  Subject to Senate confirmation, fingers crossed :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Schumer is the Trump whisperer. Pelosi the puppet master!  :lmfao:

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/908146175211134976
QuoteBREAKING: Schumer, Pelosi announce deal with Trump to protect young immigrants; will include border security, but no wall.

https://twitter.com/Carrasquillo/status/908145281748922368
QuotePelosi on meeting with Trump

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point