Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on August 10, 2016, 06:31:19 AM
The Olympic pool infested with algae overnight after the filter system got clogged.

Clogged with what? Michael Phelps' awesomeness?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Holy shit. Canada's own John Saunders died today in Rio :blink:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/longtime-espn-host-john-saunders-dead-age-61/story?id=41267652

QuoteJohn Saunders, one of the familiar on-air faces of ESPN for nearly 30 years, has died. He was 61.

Saunders hosted studio and play-by-play programming. He covered college football, basketball and the NHL for the network, in addition to anchoring SportsCenter. He was also host of The Sports Reporters.

Born in Canada, Saunders was an all-star defenseman in the junior hockey leagues of Montreal and played at Western Michigan before becoming one of the most prominent broadcasters of his time.

Saunders was a founding member of The V Foundation for Cancer Research and served on the board of directors.

"John was an extraordinary talent and his friendly, informative style has been a warm welcome to sports fans for decades," said John Skipper, president of ESPN and co-chairman of Disney Media Networks, in a statement. "His wide range of accomplishments across numerous sports and championship events is among the most impressive this industry has ever seen. More importantly, John was a beloved and devoted family man who cared deeply about people and causes, as evidenced by his long-standing efforts as a passionate board member for The V Foundation for Cancer Research.

"He was one of the most significant and influential members of the ESPN family, as a colleague and mentor, and he will be sorely missed. Our thoughts are with his loved ones at this extremely difficult time."

Saunders joined ESPN in December 1986 to anchor SportsCenter. But he became a voice on college basketball and the WNBA and hosted ESPN's coverage of the Stanley Cup playoffs from 1993 to 2004. He also worked on coverage of the World Series and Major League Baseball All-Star Game.

Saunders' survivors include his wife, Wanda, and daughters Aleah and Jenna.

Wow just completely out of the blue. RIP.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2016, 07:20:40 AM
Quote from: Liep on August 10, 2016, 06:31:19 AM
The Olympic pool infested with algae overnight after the filter system got clogged.

Clogged with what? Michael Phelps' awesomeness?

Maybe it's from the frogs that left those marks on his back?

Grey Fox

All of Canada's medal, so far, have been from women. Our men athletes are very disappointing.

Also, our 16 year old swimmer has now 3 medals, no Canadian has more than 4. [in swimming?]
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Spain won its first gold medal for these games yesterday in Women's 200m Butterfly (go Mireia! :cheers: ), and now has one gold and one bronze, also won by the same swimmer. We're finally ahead of powerhouses such as Kosovo and the Independent Olympic Athletes (actually Kuwait under an Olympic flag because their federation is suspended), who already had one gold medal each.  :P

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on August 08, 2016, 02:01:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2016, 01:51:26 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 08, 2016, 01:49:46 PM
They are completely ignored over here, the Special Olympics get more coverage than the Winter ones.

It is because you suck at them. I get it.

Of course, if we were any good some attention would be paid to them. Spain only won 2 medals ever in the winter games, a gold in Nagano and a bronze in Albertville, the winners were actually brother & sister. Unless that family produces more competitors we won't ever won another medal in winter games again. We are just not a winter sports country.

It doesn't snow in the Pyrenees? :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 11, 2016, 07:40:47 AM

It doesn't snow in the Pyrenees? :huh:

Oh it does. I knew a few avid skiers in France and they sometimes went to the Pyrenees though the Alps was more popular for whatever reason.

grumbler

It amuses me greatly that the Olympics, which were created to showcase individual athletic talent, are now just another means of expressing nationalistic competition.

Of course, it is immensely sad to think that people actually get worked up with joy at the idea that "Canada won a gold medal" when, in fact, it was an individual who just happened to be from Canada that won the medal.  Of course, the IOC cynically exploits those nationalistic feeling with their "national teams" and the playing of anthems at award ceremonies, but why do people fall for that shtick?  The IOC is known to be corrupt and despicable, except when the anthems get played.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Can't hear you grumbler too busy chanting USA USA USA.

Hey weren't you the guy boasting about how Phelps was a Michigan man?  :P

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on August 11, 2016, 07:44:23 AM
It amuses me greatly that the Olympics, which were created to showcase individual athletic talent, are now just another means of expressing nationalistic competition.

Of course, it is immensely sad to think that people actually get worked up with joy at the idea that "Canada won a gold medal" when, in fact, it was an individual who just happened to be from Canada that won the medal.  Of course, the IOC cynically exploits those nationalistic feeling with their "national teams" and the playing of anthems at award ceremonies, but why do people fall for that shtick?  The IOC is known to be corrupt and despicable, except when the anthems get played.
I think there are cases when the whole nation can legitimately feel proud.  Russian performance in Sochi was the accomplishment of the entire state apparatus.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

One a day-by-day basis, Team GB is ahead of its 2012 medal win schedule, surprisingly.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36970388

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2016, 07:55:25 AM
I think there are cases when the whole nation can legitimately feel proud.  Russian performance in Sochi was the accomplishment of the entire state apparatus.

:lol: Well done.