Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Watched a chunk of Croatia Espana men's basketball.

How do you pronounce Sergio Llull? 

The halftime show was break dancing.  Really better to have nothing at all.

11B4V

Quote from: Liep on August 06, 2016, 06:47:15 AM
Rowing qualifying heats! Wow that's boring.
'Bout like that hockey like sport wil the big puck and brooms.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on August 07, 2016, 06:50:30 PM

Hey man, you're waaaay off.  There's nothing "hockey like" about it.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 07, 2016, 06:54:05 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 07, 2016, 06:50:30 PM

Hey man, you're waaaay off.  There's nothing "hockey like" about it.

Curling is what I was thinking of.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 07, 2016, 05:50:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 07, 2016, 05:15:36 PM
That Women's road race was also epic.  I hope the Dutch rider is going to be ok after that crash.  Looked very bad.  :(

Concussion and three spinal fractures.  Not good.

Seeing as how one of the ladies in the race today crashed earlier in the year and lost a kidney I would say she may well have gotten off light...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: PDH on August 07, 2016, 09:14:46 PM
Seeing as how one of the ladies in the race today crashed earlier in the year and lost a kidney I would say she may well have gotten off light...

Jesus christ, is there a Thunderdome portion that I missed?

E:  Oh earlier in the year.  Derp.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on August 07, 2016, 07:46:11 PM
Curling is what I was thinking of.

Calling it "hockey like" is an insult to hockey like thingies.

sbr

https://twitter.com/FrankDenneman/status/762379483735359488

Quote@FrankDenneman
If you feel useless today, remember somebody is working as a lifeguard at the olympics:

:lol:

grumbler

Michael Phelps (UofM Alum) has now won gold in four Olympics.  I know Carl Lewis did that in track and field, but I'm not aware of any others. I am sure there must be some in winter sports and/or from other countries.  Anybody able to help me out?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

There's a Norwegian dude who has been to 6 or winter games and has a bunch of medals. 

E: Here he is:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Einar_Bj%C3%B8rndalen#Olympic_Games

Liep

There's a Danish sailor who won gold in four Olympics too, Paul Elvstrøm. He participated in a total of 8 Olympics.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Eskild Ebbesen won medals in 5 Olympics but only 3 of them gold. 4 man rowing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Gups

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2016, 10:58:10 PM
Michael Phelps (UofM Alum) has now won gold in four Olympics.  I know Carl Lewis did that in track and field, but I'm not aware of any others. I am sure there must be some in winter sports and/or from other countries.  Anybody able to help me out?

Steve Redgrave, British rower, won gold  five consecutive times between 1984 and 2000.
Matthew Pinsent, another British rower, won four times between 1992 and 2004

Agelastus

Quote from: Gups on August 08, 2016, 03:59:17 AM

Steve Redgrave, British rower, won gold  five consecutive times between 1984 and 2000.

And thank god for the pair of them - without their gold medal in Atlanta in 1996 our unique run of having won at least one gold medal in every summer Olympics since the first in 1896 would have been broken.

Atlanta was, in general, a truly miserable games for British sport. :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Gups

Quote from: Agelastus on August 08, 2016, 06:07:59 AM
Quote from: Gups on August 08, 2016, 03:59:17 AM

And thank god for the pair of them - without their gold medal in Atlanta in 1996 our unique run of having won at least one gold medal in every summer Olympics since the first in 1896 would have been broken.

Atlanta was, in general, a truly miserable games for British sport. :(

It really was the pits.