Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Agelastus on August 08, 2016, 06:07:59 AM

And thank god for the pair of them - without their gold medal in Atlanta in 1996 our unique run of having won at least one gold medal in every summer Olympics since the first in 1896 would have been broken.

Atlanta was, in general, a truly miserable games for British sport. :(

Hong Kong won our only gold medal in Atlanta.  So even if you guys didn't win any, God Save the Queen would still have been played :contract:

sbr

A University of Southern California alum (or at least former athlete) has won a gold medal in every Olympics for the last 104 years.

Grey Fox

I just came to the realization that the next 3 Olympics are going to be in Asia.

This sucks, everything will happen in the night & when we wake up everything will already be done.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 08, 2016, 11:11:07 AM
I just came to the realization that the next 3 Olympics are going to be in Asia.

This sucks, everything will happen in the night & when we wake up everything will already be done.

2024 will be in either Europe (Rome, Paris & Budapest are official candidates) or North America (LA).

The Minsky Moment

Samaranch was in something like 12 olympic games.  Not sure the exact count, but he came away with a LOT of gold.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Apparently fencer Aladár Gerevich of Hungary holds the record for most gold medals in separate Olympics, at 6.

Steve Redgrave's five appears to be the most for endurance events.

Alfred Oerter, Jr and Carl Lewis are tied at 4 Olympics with gold in individual events.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

frunk

If Phelps was a country he would be third for all time Gold Medal count in Swimming events, behind the US and Australia.

Savonarola

CB and I watched some of women's gymnastics last night.  I've seen wuxia movies where the people can't jump as high or stay aloft as long as Simone Biles did.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

I almost felt bad for Aly Raisman  :lol:

It must suck to be the very best mortal woman who has ever lost to Simone Biles.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on August 08, 2016, 11:17:56 AM

2024 will be in either Europe (Rome, Paris & Budapest are official candidates) or North America (LA).

Thank god, I don't think I could stomach 4 in a row.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 08, 2016, 12:57:01 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 08, 2016, 11:17:56 AM

Thank god, I don't think I could stomach 4 in a row.

Guess you're including the winter olympics in that calculation, right?

Grey Fox

The Larch

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on August 08, 2016, 01:31:18 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 08, 2016, 01:28:24 PM
Yes, of course.

I forgot that some people actually care about those.  :lol:

For all intent & purposes, they are more important.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on August 08, 2016, 01:31:18 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 08, 2016, 01:28:24 PM
Yes, of course.

I forgot that some people actually care about those.  :lol:

Um you are talking to a Canadian here :P

But I agree with them, the Winter Olympics is awesome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."