Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 11, 2016, 07:40:47 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 08, 2016, 02:01:46 PM
Of course, if we were any good some attention would be paid to them. Spain only won 2 medals ever in the winter games, a gold in Nagano and a bronze in Albertville, the winners were actually brother & sister. Unless that family produces more competitors we won't ever won another medal in winter games again. We are just not a winter sports country.

It doesn't snow in the Pyrenees? :huh:

It does snow, but there's not a tradition of winter sports. Snow is a very seasonal and localized thing in Spain, and skiing is seen more as a leisure activity for the well off rather than a popular sport.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2016, 07:45:33 AM
Can't hear you grumbler too busy chanting USA USA USA.

Hey weren't you the guy boasting about how Phelps was a Michigan man?  :P

I was pleasantly surprised to learn Georgia women won the NCAA Championship in swimming.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

I noted that he was a Michigan Man, yes.  I don't see that that has anything to do with my point, but I suppose obfuscation is really the only counter-argument you can make.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2016, 07:55:25 AM
I think there are cases when the whole nation can legitimately feel proud.  Russian performance in Sochi was the accomplishment of the entire state apparatus.

Russia has always been better at luge than Eastasia!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on August 11, 2016, 05:22:21 PM

I noted that he was a Michigan Man, yes.  I don't see that that has anything to do with my point, but I suppose obfuscation is really the only counter-argument you can make.

It was a joke. Anyway I am well aware it is probably counter-productive but it is what it is. People do this sort of shit about everything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on August 11, 2016, 07:44:23 AM
It amuses me greatly that the Olympics, which were created to showcase individual athletic talent, are now just another means of expressing nationalistic competition.

Well, Individual athletic talent and honoring Zeus.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

One of our few medal hopes lost her oar in the semi final. This Olympic has just gone downhill since Fuglsang. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2016, 07:46:06 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 11, 2016, 07:44:23 AM
It amuses me greatly that the Olympics, which were created to showcase individual athletic talent, are now just another means of expressing nationalistic competition.

Well, Individual athletic talent and honoring Zeus.

I expect the Corinthians were pleased when their guy beat his Athenian opponent.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

We were so close to a final in the four man pursuit.

Norman was riding too fast for the other guys to follow, rookie mistake. :cry:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Liep

Amazing final. Australia really rode their chance and pressed team Wiggins but the invincible Brits set another WR.

Admiral Yi

USA USA USA women's fodbol out in semis to Swedonia on penalties.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2016, 05:43:59 PM
USA USA USA women's fodbol out in semis to Swedonia on penalties.

Yeah that was rough. Tough way for the favorites to go out. They can still win the Bronze though.

Hope Solo took it well.

Edit: Actually it was the Quarterfinals so no medal for us :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Liep on August 12, 2016, 04:54:31 PM
Amazing final. Australia really rode their chance and pressed team Wiggins but the invincible Brits set another WR.

Yeah, real exciting, well done to Australia for pushing them so close.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"