Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 22, 2015, 10:51:21 AM
How appropriate for children?  Compared to 4/5/6?

I'd say almost exactly the same. Some frightening/intense scenes, as one would expect.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

About on par.  There was a little bit of blood, which might be the first time that was seen in a Star Wars movie.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

A bit darker than 4. On par with 5-6 I'd say... the baddies are a bit nastier than the old Empire and even though the violence itself is pretty clean (like in the old movies), there's a few strong/frightening scenes here and there (like in the old movies too).

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2015, 10:57:10 AM

About on par.  There was a little bit of blood, which might be the first time that was seen in a Star Wars movie.

The severed arm in Ep. IV had more blood.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2015, 11:08:27 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2015, 10:57:10 AM

The severed arm in Ep. IV had more blood.

Not sure about that. :hmm:

In any event, the blood on the troopers helmet is there for a long time, unlike the split second shot of the severed arm.

The Larch

I'm going to watch the movie in a couple of hours. I must say that I've managed to contain the hype pretty well so far, but now that it's getting close I can feel the tingling.  :w00t: :nerd:

Brezel

I don't understand the Star Wars hype. The last ones were shit, why should the new one get the benefit of doubt? Because Disney made it?

Barrister

Quote from: Brezel on December 22, 2015, 11:41:04 AM
I don't understand the Star Wars hype. The last ones were shit, why should the new one get the benefit of doubt? Because Disney made it?

You don't have to take it on faith.  The movie is out, there are plenty of reviews.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has a 95% rating on Rottentomatoes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_vii_the_force_awakens/

Duque de Bragança

The director of the new Star Wars destroyed Vulcan on his Star Trek movie. This has to count for something.  :smarty:

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2015, 11:44:19 AM

You don't have to take it on faith.  The movie is out, there are plenty of reviews.

Of course, simply "not having Jar Jar in it" guarantees an automatic 80%  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 11:46:58 AM

At least 85% IMHO.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 11:46:58 AM

Meh - Jar Jar had no lines in Episode 3, and only appeared in a couple of brief scenes.  That wasn't enough to save that movie.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2015, 11:57:31 AM

Meh - Jar Jar had no lines in Episode 3, and only appeared in a couple of brief scenes.  That wasn't enough to save that movie.

On a more serious note - 'just not screwing it up completely with annoying characters, wooden acting and lengthy boring exposition' guarantees a reasonably high rating for the new movie. 

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 12:02:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2015, 11:57:31 AM

On a more serious note - 'just not screwing it up completely with annoying characters, wooden acting and lengthy boring exposition' guarantees a reasonably high rating for the new movie. 

It's not like it is that hard to make a decent Star Wars movie.

Lucas had to really put a lot of work into making the prequels as bad as they were...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned