Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

crazy canuck

Saw it last night with the boys.  We all loved it.  Best one yet.

Caliga

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 24, 2015, 02:04:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 23, 2015, 01:02:11 AM
I don't love the idea of a "reboot", but I cautiously embraced the 2009 Star Trek film.

But Star Trek Into Darkness shat on my embrace.  There's very little chance I go to see Star Trek Beyond now.  I don't think I'm the only one.

I thought Into Darkness was awesome... :unsure:
+1
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Into Darkness was roughly 90% as awesome* as Star Trek, like most sequels.

*Not that I would use that word to describe either movie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on December 23, 2015, 01:02:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 23, 2015, 12:57:57 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 04:46:10 PM
They are gonna have to take some risks with the second movie, though.

You mean like they did with the Star Trek Reboot sequel :lol:

'The Bad guys from Episode VII Strike Back'

I don't love the idea of a "reboot", but I cautiously embraced the 2009 Star Trek film.

But Star Trek Into Darkness shat on my embrace.  There's very little chance I go to see Star Trek Beyond now.  I don't think I'm the only one.

So Episode 8 doesn't need to be "risky" but surely to God they need a slightly more original screenplay than Episode 7 had.

Into darkness was shirt, but ill see the new one.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grinning_Colossus

Star Trek an Into Darkness were both bad, and of the two Darkness was worse, but both were better than Insurrection and Nemesis.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

celedhring

Star Trek was okay-ish but it didn't feel like Star Trek. Heck I remember coming out of the cinema and telling my friends that Abrams just tried to do a very convoluted Star Wars wannabee instead of a Star Trek film. Lo an behold, a decade later he's done the actual thing.

The least said about Into Darkness the better.

Syt

Carrie Fisher, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, and Kylie Minoigue on Graham Norton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVB4ghl0mJo

Norton: "Kylie, did you watch Star Wars?"
Kylie: "I was young; gonna say I was this high, but I'm not much higher now, so ..."
Carrie: "I was high, too, but not that high!"

:XD:

But yeah, Carrie is brilliant in this. She just doesn't give a fuck anymore. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Also her official advise to Daisy Ridley on set: "Don't go through the crew like wildfire."  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Generally quite an adorable show. Much better than the American talk shows they send here.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

lustindarkness

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2015, 06:55:37 AM
Carrie Fisher, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, and Kylie Minoigue on Graham Norton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVB4ghl0mJo

Norton: "Kylie, did you watch Star Wars?"
Kylie: "I was young; gonna say I was this high, but I'm not much higher now, so ..."
Carrie: "I was high, too, but not that high!"

:XD:

But yeah, Carrie is brilliant in this. She just doesn't give a fuck anymore. :D

That was good.

BTW, I should not watch 40 minute YouTube videos on my 15 minute break.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2015, 07:12:52 AM
Also her official advise to Daisy Ridley on set: "Don't go through the crew like wildfire."  :blush:

Hey now, I am sure katmai would have liked to have been part of that crew.  :P

Eddie Teach

Tonitrus

Eddie Teach

Hey watch it, that "whatever" category could have forced Carrie Fisher to live out her entire life in France.  :P