Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Berkut

OK, so this is for your vote and comments on how you voted.

No discussion of the movie itself, plot, action, whatever - and certainly no spoilers. Just your overall assessment please, and only vote if you have actually, you know, seen the movie!

Please do include a comment with your rating.

Lastly, for purposes of the poll, I would define "Meets expectation" as "Not terrible like the Lucas crap, but doesn't rise to the level of the 4/5/6 movies, but doesn't fall vastly short either."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

You mean we can't vote that we miss Jar Jar unless we have seen the new movie?  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

B+

If meeting my expectations is a C then this would be A+++, but since it was so good I feel it's only right to compare it to 4,5,6 and there it competes but doesn't outshine.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

I have decided to go ahead and see it with my oldest kid and my wife. But she has strict rules about movies, no opening weekends. So it will be the 27th for us. I will try to not be spoilered until then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2015, 11:43:12 AM
I have decided to go ahead and see it with my oldest kid and my wife. But she has strict rules about movies, no opening weekends. So it will be the 27th for us. I will try to not be spoilered until then.

I can promise you that if you think it's fine for the younger one you will want to see it again anyway. Win/win.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2015, 11:45:50 AM
But she has strict rules about movies, no opening weekends.

:zipped:

She managed a movie theatre in College and has all these pet peeves and so forth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

I'm going on the same day. I think there will be about 20 of us including kids from 5 upwards which sucks for the rest of the cinema.

Tamas

I will only watch it on the 9th of January. Each day between Friday and then I will die a little inside. So fuck you all who get to watch it before then :P

katmai

Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2015, 12:05:54 PM
I will only watch it on the 9th of January. Each day between Friday and then I will die a little inside. So fuck you all who get to watch it before then :P
Why such  delay?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2015, 12:01:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2015, 11:45:50 AM
But she has strict rules about movies, no opening weekends.

:zipped:

She managed a movie theatre in College and has all these pet peeves and so forth.
Opening day Matinee or late Sunday best times on opening weekend. :yes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: katmai on December 16, 2015, 12:28:06 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2015, 12:05:54 PM
Why such  delay?

Its complicated. :P I will be in Hungary during the interim period, where there will be no IMAX showing in English, and I don't want to watch it without the GF who doesn't speak Hungarian that much, and is a big SW fan.  :blush:

garbon

Oh and I'm in no rush to see it. My cousins invited me to see with them on Friday, I said pass.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

If this gets generally positive reviews, I'll try and catch it in the next couple of years.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

I'll be seeing it Saturday night, with a good (but totally overpriced) bottle of wine to help pass the bad moments :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.