Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Norgy

The reviews and the "final trailer" bode well. I have a ticket for Saturday.

I was too young to go to the Episode IV in 1979, but I suffered through the painal of Episode I on its premiere back in the 90s.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on December 16, 2015, 01:40:52 PM
If this gets generally positive reviews, I'll try and catch it in the next couple of years.  :bowler:

Is Bournemouth that far behind?  :P

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 16, 2015, 03:01:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 16, 2015, 01:40:52 PM
If this gets generally positive reviews, I'll try and catch it in the next couple of years.  :bowler:

Is Bournemouth that far behind?  :P

:D

I think it's about 30 years away/ago.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

In my seat, 10 min to go. Please, don't let this movie suck.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Seen it today. I'm wavering between A and B on this. Voted B because it's a bit subjective on what you consider awesome, but I'd say it's definitely up there with Episodes 4 and 5 in quality. :)

jimmy olsen

Haven't seen it yet, hoping to do so this evening, but how can there not be "Abram's has restored balance to the force" option?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

I enjoyed this. A lot. Is it the Fury Road of Star Wars? No. But it plays nicely to the nostalgia of the original trilogy and adds enough new stuff to keep it fresh. I'm very much looking forward to Episode VIII and to watching this one again. It is nice to see what competent script writers, directors and actors can do with this universe and it makes the prequels look even more out of place. I'll put up a detailed commentary in the spoiler thread later today. It is 3:15am and I need some sleep.  :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Three troll votes for Jar Jar Binks: Languish is not dying! :)

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 17, 2015, 10:25:40 AM
Three troll votes for Jar Jar Binks: Languish is not dying! :)

Jar Jar Binks: The Jaron of Star Wars?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

BTW, is Jaron pronounced like JarJar or like Jared? Or should there be an H sound at the front?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 17, 2015, 11:49:14 AM
BTW, is Jaron pronounced like JarJar or like Jared? Or should there be an H sound at the front?  :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 17, 2015, 11:49:14 AM
I imagine it to be the way KAP pronounced it, as we used to have a sound file over there with him saying "It's Jaron's fault".  He pronounced it like "JARE-inn".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points