Russians building legions of killbots

Started by jimmy olsen, April 17, 2017, 12:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Russia's deputy PM denies it, but you can view the viedo here. Killbot footage starts at 1:02

https://www.cnet.com/news/russia-robot-warfare/

Russia shows off robotic gunslinger

Commentary: Russia's deputy prime minister, Dmitry Rogozin, proudly tweets video of a Russian Robocop in action

As the promise of warfare wafts across the world, it's worth focusing on the future and whether the world has one.

Conveniently, one of the countries that currently seems a touch bellicose, Russia, has unveiled a robot that seems very battle-ready.

On Friday, the country's deputy prime minister, Dmitry Rogozin, tweeted video of the F.E.D.O.R robot and its most delightful capability. This robot can, like the finest of metal cowboys, stand legs akimbo and shoot guns with both hands.

Rogozin offered these words to accompany the video: "Russian fighting robots -- guys with iron nature."

I'm not sure I'd like to face this robot's iron nature, especially if his skull is also made of iron. One false bit of programming or mistaken identification and he would me blow me hasta la vista. Or, at least, hasta el horizonte.

You might think, indeed, that many of these robots are being built to prepare for a Russian assault on, say, a neighboring country.

Instead, Rogozin insisted when posting images of the robot, its aim is peaceful. "We are not creating a Terminator, but artificial intelligence that will be of great practical significance in a lot of spheres."

Naturally, one would love to take him at his word and not worry that "spheres" might mean, for example, Poland.

Sadly, I have too much Polish blood for that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

I'm more worried that Putin might resume Stalin's ape soldier program.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Do they have a pre-set kill number? Because if so I think we already have a winning strategy for dealing with them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

I cant imagine Russia can build robot cheaper than Russian peasants.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2017, 12:05:23 PM
I cant imagine Russia can build robot cheaper than Russian peasants.

They are less likely to switch sides when asked to fire into crowds of protesters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."