Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2015, 03:15:06 AM
Some critics seem to complain that it alludes too much to the original movies in themes, call backs etc. Others say that the movie plays it very safe by giving fans exactly what they want.

I can see their point, but I think the movie strikes a good balance. Also, I think this is what was necessary to restore fans' faith in the franchise, before moving on to (potentially) do something completely new in the other movies.

And even though I do like watching the prequels, Episode VII very easily in the dust and makes them look even worse than before.

I heard opinions that the movie plays it safe as it needs to win the old fans back - once it has apparently done so, the remaining two movies will be where the new stuff comes in.

Edit: I should read the whole post before commenting - I responded by basically reiterating what you said. :P

Martinus

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 17, 2015, 03:08:22 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 17, 2015, 02:46:27 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 17, 2015, 02:43:18 PM
a hijack that isn't about the ACW, Canada or religion... impressive.

going to watch between X-mas and NewYear.

It is nice to know that Languish has resisted the flashy hype of a new Star Wars movie to argue about the truly important matters in life - such as how to pronounce "Jaron".  :D

So true,  warms the heart. BTW, I pronounce Jaron as  ass-hole.

That's mean.  :mad:

Razgovory

I'll see it sometime next week.  I heard that there is a focus on practical special effects so that should be neat.  I'm not a big fan of everything being rendered in CGI.  Makes it feel like a video game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

celedhring

There's too many things that took me out of the film, but I won't spoil them there. But it has a lot of enjoyable things in it, too.

It's several orders of magnitude better than 1,2,3. That's for sure.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

Just got back. My initial feeling is "A".

Might temper to a B...but I suspect maybe not.

Outstanding.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Okay upping it to C+ after second viewing. The spirit is there and I like the characters, but I have many issues with the plot.

That  makes it the second best action/adventure film I have seen all year behind Mad Max. It ain't such a bad grade. (Haven't seen Antman yet).