Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on December 22, 2015, 06:48:42 AM
Or something as good as KotoR.

Still waiting for my Privateer/Freespace/Elite II in Star Wars universe. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 22, 2015, 07:14:08 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 22, 2015, 05:26:23 AM

Disney is only interested in our auntie's inheritance, but will treat us well as long as we fork the money over.

I have lots and lots of stock that says keep it up.  :P

But honestly I think Abrams gave a crap about it. Like he'll shit all over Star Trek but this is...different.

He said he hadn't watched Trek before signing on for the movies. On the other hand he's a self professed life long Star Wars fanboy ... and yeah, it shows.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2015, 07:16:41 AM
Quote from: Zanza on December 22, 2015, 06:48:42 AM
Or something as good as KotoR.

Still waiting for my Privateer/Freespace/Elite II in Star Wars universe. :(
Yeah, that would be epic. I wonder if it will be possible to mod Stellaris into the SW universe.

Syt

Would be surprised if not, but it seems too large in scope to make much sense for Star Wars (the Exploration/Expansion part at least, unless you make the game start 20,000 years before the movies). Sins of a Solar Empire/Homeworld appears to be better geared towards the Star Wars universe (and I'm not a fan of real time games and there are appropriate mods). I think an overhaul of Rebellion/Empire at War would be best.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 22, 2015, 07:14:08 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 22, 2015, 05:26:23 AM

Disney is only interested in our auntie's inheritance, but will treat us well as long as we fork the money over.

I have lots and lots of stock that says keep it up.  :P

But honestly I think Abrams gave a crap about it. Like he'll shit all over Star Trek but this is...different.

The movie has a lot of minor flaws that pissed me off, but it got the most important things right, and yeah, I got the feeling they are going to tell a good Star Wars story at the end of it all.

Berkut

Star Wars game:

The setting for Ep VII would be great for a strategy war game where the player takes over a planet in a part of the galaxy not controlled tightly by the New Republic or the First Order.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Duque de Bragança

I agree in part with Brazen so that's above the lousy average of blockbusters, CGI is not too intrusive, no Jar Jar Binks, no rape of childhood memories à la first trilogy, lots of winks/fan service.

However, nothing groundbreaking so the first trilogy has nothing to fear. That's where I disagree with Brazen.
Managed to catch an early, morning screening, at the IMAX cinema without paying the IMAX supplement, all included in my flat rate cinema card so it's good and may rewatch it.

Higher expectations for Episode 8.

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on December 22, 2015, 08:57:36 AM
Star Wars game:

The setting for Ep VII would be great for a strategy war game where the player takes over a planet in a part of the galaxy not controlled tightly by the New Republic or the First Order.

OMG SPOILER ALERT

Malthus

I enjoyed it - had the authentic Star Wars flavor - but damn, it was so close to the first movie. Is there no other story to tell in this universe than the one?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 09:58:49 AM
I enjoyed it - had the authentic Star Wars flavor - but damn, it was so close to the first movie. Is there no other story to tell in this universe than the one?  :hmm:

Out of 7 Star Wars films...[spoiler] 3 have planet-destroying superweapons being the major plot thread. It's a bit silly at this point.[/spoiler]

lustindarkness

Quote from: Tamas on December 22, 2015, 09:44:05 AM
Star Wars game:

OMG SPOILER ALERT

Why spoiler alert? He did not mention Jar Jar at all.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on December 22, 2015, 10:15:36 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 09:58:49 AM

Out of 7 Star Wars films...[spoiler] 3 have planet-destroying superweapons being the major plot thread. It's a bit silly at this point.[/spoiler]

The ratio is even worse when you consider only the four movies that are any good.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 22, 2015, 10:25:30 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 22, 2015, 09:44:05 AM
Star Wars game:

OMG SPOILER ALERT

Why spoiler alert? He did not mention Jar Jar at all.

Yes, I was pretty shocked when they revealed Jar Jar had gone over to the Dark Side and was the new dark lord.

It could happen.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 10:28:19 AM
Yes, I was pretty shocked when they revealed Jar Jar had gone over to the Dark Side and was the new dark lord.

Yousa gonna feel my FORCE LIGHTNING
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM
OK, so this is for your vote and comments on how you voted.

No discussion of the movie itself, plot, action, whatever - and certainly no spoilers. Just your overall assessment please, and only vote if you have actually, you know, seen the movie!

Please do include a comment with your rating.

Lastly, for purposes of the poll, I would define "Meets expectation" as "Not terrible like the Lucas crap, but doesn't rise to the level of the 4/5/6 movies, but doesn't fall vastly short either."
somewhere between B and C for me.  It's a good movie.  There are some things I don't like, some things that are supposedly impossible to do even with the force.  There are problems with the plot and how certain characters react to tragic events.  At some point, I'd say the movie becomes quite predictable.  There is a particular twist though, you expect it, yet you can't believe it will happen.  There are elements of all movies (yes, even Ep1) in it, so it lacks in originality.

What do we have?  A typical blockbuster that re-uses elements from all the movies and gives us a somewhat predictable scenario.  Yet, it works.  Admirably.

I recommend you see it, if you haven't done so already.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.