Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

celedhring

The only thing where TFA is better than ANH is in the technical department. And I don't really take that into account when rating movies.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 31, 2015, 09:59:27 AM
His best Star Wars movie was the first one. The best Star wars movie did not have his dialog (Empire Strikes Back). 

This is The Truth because I say so. :contract:

Edit: And my original comment stands anyway, he is a bitter old man.

You, sir...

...are correct.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

In a development that will restore balance to the Force, this weekend The Force Awakens will shoot past The Phantom Menace in tickets sold in the US (and probably worldwide but that's much harder to track). TPM was the top grosser of the prequels.

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on December 31, 2015, 07:19:37 AM
There is another thread for discussion about the film itself, although I guess at this point concerns about spoilers should be minimal.

Who hasn't seen it by now?

I haven't.  My mom dropped a pretty big spoiler on me and my brother - only two who hadn't see it yet - last Sunday at dinner.  :mad:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

I haven't either. Query: Is it necessary to have seen previous Star Wars films? My gf wants to go but she hasn't seen any of the other six episodes.

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on January 01, 2016, 05:08:37 PM
I haven't either. Query: Is it necessary to have seen previous Star Wars films? My gf wants to go but she hasn't seen any of the other six episodes.

Yeah, but just the original trilogy.

Razgovory

I have no idea.  It's a bit like asking if it's a good idea to go on a date at night because your girlfriend has never seen the moon and might freak out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

garbon

Well it is a bit dramatic, but still for a functioning person in the western world - rather odd.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

there are only two short scenes that references the prequels, so you're ok.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2016, 09:04:22 AM
Well it is a bit dramatic, but still for a functioning person in the western world - rather odd.
lots of women haven't seen Star Wars.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on January 02, 2016, 10:59:33 AM
there are only two short scenes that references the prequels, so you're ok.

I think a lot of the power of the movie would be lost on someone who has never seen 4/5/6. This is definitely setup as a follow on to 6, not as a separate story arc (like the way 4/5/6 does not at all depend on 1/2/3).

And if you have NOT seen 4/5/6, that is like 9 hours of movie deliciousness - why not spend some quality time watching those first anyway?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

The movie is pretty understandable at a basic level: "these are the bad dudes, these are the good dudes, you want to root for the good dudes". But you're definitely going to miss on a lot if you haven't seen 4/5/6.

Iormlund

Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2016, 11:22:52 AM
And if you have NOT seen 4/5/6, that is like 9 hours of movie deliciousness - why not spend some quality time watching those first anyway?

That's the plan.