Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 23, 2017, 12:52:05 PM
Luke saying to Rey, "Rey...I am your father....".

Scary part is it actually would kind of make some sense....

Mrs B watched TFA with Andrew yesterday.  That's her theory.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on January 23, 2017, 01:00:00 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 23, 2017, 12:55:26 PM
The first shot will be a star destroyer launching probes in frantic pursuit of Luke Skywalker's whereabouts.

Let's hope not. I was pretty lenient on the fanboish recreation angle on TFA, but Rogue One clearly showed you can be brave about storylines and get away with it.

Though not too brave vis-a-vis the braver tale getting replaced/re-shot.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Title telegraphs to me that Rey buys the farm while saving the universe.

Kleves

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2017, 01:34:12 PM
Title telegraphs to me that Luke buys the farm while saving the universe, leaving Rey to continue to have profitable adventures for Disney for another 20 years.
FYP.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

celedhring

That was my thought at first, but it would really be lame if they killed off a major OT character *again* after Han's death in Ep VII.

Admiral Yi

If Luke croaks and Rey lives, what would prevent her from finding and training noobs?  If Rey dies they go extinct.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 23, 2017, 01:51:52 PM
That was my thought at first, but it would really be lame if they killed off a major OT character *again* after Han's death in Ep VII.

Mark Hamill is 65 years old.  As they've learned from Carrie Fisher you can't build a multi-billion dollar franchise around actors eligible for Medicare.

Luke Skywalker is a dead man walking.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2017, 01:56:01 PM
If Luke croaks and Rey lives, what would prevent her from finding and training noobs?

Common sense.  Finally realizing that training Jedis only leads to grief, that the whole Jedi project is horribly misguided.

More realistically - nothing.  Hence the possibility for more sequels with Jedi in them, prior movie titles be damned.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2017, 01:56:01 PM
If Luke croaks and Rey lives, what would prevent her from finding and training noobs?  If Rey dies they go extinct.

Easy enough to start a new order that isn't Jedi but has the power.  If Jed could found the Jedi Rey can found the Reyi.

Berkut

"The Last Jedi" doesn't mean there won't ever be more, it just means that at the particular point in time, there is only one left. At that time, he is the last Jedi.

If I eat the last cookie, that doesn't mean there will never be another cookie.

Right now, Luke is the last Jedi.

Apparently because he is pretty terrible at training Jedi, and they all die. I am not sure that his bodes well for poor Rey...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

I concede the Disney profit argument's logic.

I suppose then that the title means Luke croaks, Rey is THE ONLY ONE LEFT.  Until next time.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson