Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

celedhring

Lucas lets loose about the new Star Wars films.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-lucas-quips-he-sold-851545

QuoteGeorge Lucas Quips He Sold 'Star Wars' to "White Slavers"

Come on George, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

celedhring

That said, despite the massive bitterness, he has a bit of a point. Star Wars in 1977 was a revolutionary film. The new one doesn't even try.

Still, rather have something like The Force Awakens than "new planets and spaceships", if those planets have Jar Jar Binks living in them.

Berkut

There is another thread for discussion about the film itself, although I guess at this point concerns about spoilers should be minimal.

Who hasn't seen it by now?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

There's no spoilers in anything I've said or linked.

Put it here since it concerned "impressions" of the film more than anything. The two threads confuse me a bit at this point.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on December 31, 2015, 07:19:37 AM
There is another thread for discussion about the film itself, although I guess at this point concerns about spoilers should be minimal.

Who hasn't seen it by now?

I haven't. My desire to see it is flagging as well.

But we are supposed to give impressions, that strikes me as an impression.

I thought Lucas' assertion he had done something new and daring in any of the films after the first two was rather questionable when I watched that interview. That somehow Star Wars had not sold out until he sold it to Disney. Now granted Disney is among the most soulless sell out corporations that has ever existed but it was just a small shift in degree, not some kind of tragedy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

But Disney is also a corporation that has become very good at entertaining people.

But yeah, there's milestone movies and there's game changers. Star Wars was a game changer (other recent ones I would count would be Jurassic Park for CGI, and Pulp Fiction, possibly the first Matrix), and I don't see how he could have kept the "wow"-factor alive that the first or first two movies achieved with the audience.

I find it funny that he says that Star Wars is primarily a family saga or soap opera. That's a feeling that at least the prequels didn't transport well. Instead we got CSPAN and History Channel. I imagine he had an idea where he wanted the final trilogy to go or how it was supposed to end, and is now (understandably) disappointed that it's going somewhere else. But I found that Ep. VII was less about the space-shooty-bang-bang and more about the characters and their connections, including the changes within the Skywalker family, so I'm not sure where his criticism comes from. I think many fans like the OT for the characters and their stories first, and the spaceships and battles second (because without the former, the latter are just empty spectacle).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 31, 2015, 08:44:05 AM
But Disney is also a corporation that has become very good at entertaining people.

I didn't say they didn't have their good points.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 31, 2015, 08:44:05 AM
I find it funny that he says that Star Wars is primarily a family saga or soap opera. That's a feeling that at least the prequels didn't transport well. Instead we got CSPAN and History Channel. I imagine he had an idea where he wanted the final trilogy to go or how it was supposed to end, and is now (understandably) disappointed that it's going somewhere else.

I watched the interview and it was rather weird. He did not address the prequels at all in that respect. I found it interesting that it sure seemed like he was just rehashing old ideas and old characters and introducing items specifically for the purposes of market research and merchandising...then in this interview he sounds like some kind of hippie artist who let the record label buy his soulful peace anthem opus. A little surreal if you ask me.

celedhring

And the hippie artist got 4 billion dollars out of it, not a shitty 100$ contract for all his works until he died.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 31, 2015, 08:53:28 AM
And the hippie artist got 4 billion dollars out of it, not a shitty 100$ contract for all his works until he died.

Didn't he donate the money?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 31, 2015, 08:54:50 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 31, 2015, 08:53:28 AM

Didn't he donate the money?

He did, but what I mean is that he can't say he didn't get a great deal. The way he talks it's like Disney somehow swindled him. He chose to cash in. If he was so protective he could have easily worked some creative veto into that contract, and take less money.

lustindarkness

Poor bitter old man can't admit that someone can make a better movie with his material than himself.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 31, 2015, 09:48:58 AM
Poor bitter old man can't admit that someone can make a better movie with his material than himself.

He's made at the very least two Star Wars movies that are comfortably better than TFA, and I would say even three.  :P

lustindarkness

His best Star Wars movie was the first one. The best Star wars movie did not have his dialog (Empire Strikes Back). 

This is The Truth because I say so. :contract:

Edit: And my original comment stands anyway, he is a bitter old man.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on December 31, 2015, 09:56:06 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on December 31, 2015, 09:48:58 AM

He's made at the very least two Star Wars movies that are comfortably better than TFA, and I would say even three.  :P

Empire is better, and Star Wars was in fact pretty groundbreaking, but not objectively better, IMO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned