And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 19, 2013, 02:01:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2013, 12:23:14 PM
There is supposedly a black bear lurking near where I live. It gets over the wall, I'm opening up on it with the SKS.

Meh, we had one sleeping in our front yard for a few nights a couple years ago.  We worked out a routine.  When it was time for me to get to work I would open the front door - clap my hands to wake it up and it would move on down the road.  One morning it was a little slow on the concept so I set off the car alarm and that got it moving.

Your kids are a lot bigger than Ed's.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 02:08:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 19, 2013, 02:01:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2013, 12:23:14 PM
There is supposedly a black bear lurking near where I live. It gets over the wall, I'm opening up on it with the SKS.

Meh, we had one sleeping in our front yard for a few nights a couple years ago.  We worked out a routine.  When it was time for me to get to work I would open the front door - clap my hands to wake it up and it would move on down the road.  One morning it was a little slow on the concept so I set off the car alarm and that got it moving.

Your kids are a lot bigger than Ed's.

Either way I don't think I'd want a bear sleeping in my yard.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Yeah.  Those things aren't cute and cuddly when they're tearing off your limbs.

garbon

I'm not sure I'm sorry that I'm not as manly as you CC>
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

I'm not sure why you'd have to shoot the poor bear?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on August 19, 2013, 02:39:14 PM

Could call the Parks people and see if they'll relocate it.

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 02:41:47 PM

Why not just make some noise and wait for it to wander off?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 02:30:56 PM
I'm not sure I'm sorry that I'm not as manly as you CC>

No particular level "manlyness" is required to simply send a black bear on their way.  If they havent lost their fear of humans there is no real danger.  Put another way, if everyone around here was as overly sensitive as you lot there would be a large number of bear shot every year.

MadImmortalMan

Was fishing last night at a small (tiny) lake nearby and a deer came right up to my wife and just started hanging out there watching her fish and occasionally taking a drink. It sat down like a puppy would and just chilled there for an hour or so right next to her. Then it got dark and a hundred bats came out. The deer wandered away then, but it came up to us later on the path back to the car like it wanted to say see you later guys. Startled me in the dark.

When we got back to the car, there was something black moving around in the shadows near a picnic table. At first I thought maybe it was a cat, but it was too big. It didn't move like a dog, so I'm not sure what it was. Could have been a small bear. It was all-black and probably too big to be a skunk or raccoon. There have been several bear removals recently.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 19, 2013, 02:39:14 PM

That'd be pretty hard for me as I don't own a gun. :(

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on August 19, 2013, 02:42:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 02:41:47 PM

Why not just make some noise and wait for it to wander off?

Don't want them hanging out too close to home.

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 02:50:45 PMDon't want them hanging out too close to home.

Yeah. That's why you make noise to scare them off.

MadImmortalMan

Bears usually scare off ok. It's when there are cubs around that the mothers will get aggressive.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 19, 2013, 02:44:24 PM
Was fishing last night at a small (tiny) lake nearby and a deer came right up to my wife and just started hanging out there watching her fish and occasionally taking a drink. It sat down like a puppy would and just chilled there for an hour or so right next to her. Then it got dark and a hundred bats came out. The deer wandered away then, but it came up to us later on the path back to the car like it wanted to say see you later guys. Startled me in the dark.

When we got back to the car, there was something black moving around in the shadows near a picnic table. At first I thought maybe it was a cat, but it was too big. It didn't move like a dog, so I'm not sure what it was. Could have been a small bear. It was all-black and probably too big to be a skunk or raccoon. There have been several bear removals recently.

Marten? Fox? Coyote?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.