And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2013, 08:12:19 PM
A friend bought a 50 dollar HDMI cable.  :nelson:

I astounded him when I went and got a 2 dollar one from my cable reserve and astounded him with my TECHNO WIZARDRY.

He was PISSED.

Lol, what a rube.  I got a 15 foot cable the other day for like $4, and wasn't even really comparison shopping; I just needed something to push me over $25 on the Amazon.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

It's an easy mistake to make if you don't know what you're doing.  I think brick and mortar stores are really scummy like that.  They put some Monster bullshit for $80, and then some "cheap alternative" next to it for $50.  I think this falls under deceptive practices, and should really be clamped down on by whoever regulates deceptive sales practices.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2013, 11:35:15 PM
It's an easy mistake to make if you don't know what you're doing.  I think brick and mortar stores are really scummy like that.  They put some Monster bullshit for $80, and then some "cheap alternative" next to it for $50.  I think this falls under deceptive practices, and should really be clamped down on by whoever regulates deceptive sales practices.

I have to admit - I don't know where you get these ultra-cheap HDMI cables.

Last time I needed one the big box store had something comparable - a ridiculously priced Monster cable, and a only slightly cheaper generic.

In that case I went to Radio Shack (well, several years ago bought out and now called The Source) and bought one for $10-$15.  But that still seemed pricy for a cable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2013, 11:38:56 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2013, 11:35:15 PM

I have to admit - I don't know where you get these ultra-cheap HDMI cables.

Last time I needed one the big box store had something comparable - a ridiculously priced Monster cable, and a only slightly cheaper generic.

In that case I went to Radio Shack (well, several years ago bought out and now called The Source) and bought one for $10-$15.  But that still seemed pricy for a cable.
Amazon.  Problem is, when you carry your first HDTV to the checkout line, already nursing a boner, and someone tells you that need a special cable for it, you typically just choose among the options present on autopilot.  Unless someone warns you ahead of time to watch out for the scams with the cables, you're just going to assume that this just comes with the territory of HD technology.

DGuller

During my more evil times, I consider just going to a place like Best Buy, say to the sales guy that I just bought my TV and that I need a cable for it, and watch him try to convince me why I should pay $50 for an HDMI cable.  I would then innocently take out my smartphone, just to double check that I'm not getting ripped off.

Of course, cooler head prevails.  I don't have time to waste like that, I'd rather just post on Languish.  And the guy who would be trying to con me would just be a poor schlep barely getting by, and under strict order to fuck the customers.  Pranking people so low on the totem pole is just going to bring bad karma.

Syt

Federal elections come up in Austria. And once again, the FPÖ have an interesting poster campaign (in the past they had "Vienna must not become Istanbul!", "Too much foreign blood is not good for anyone!", or "The real Viennese must not go under" in reference to a popular classic TV series).

This time it's tame by comparison: "Love thy neighbor - for us that's our Austrians!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

I really, really enjoy foisting the importance of "ara ara" upon japanese women. I have more Japanese women on my hands than I reasonably know what to do with, so I feel I have license to be strange (more true to myself, rather) and see how many linger. Japanese social sanction is all-powerful and forces its women into many behaviors, but it could be encouraging them to "ara ara" more. I am doing my best.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ed Anger

You need to be jamming your cock in them.

Do it for Uncle Sam.

CountDeMoney

I hope he started to bathe again.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2013, 11:51:22 PM
During my more evil times, I consider just going to a place like Best Buy, say to the sales guy that I just bought my TV and that I need a cable for it, and watch him try to convince me why I should pay $50 for an HDMI cable.  I would then innocently take out my smartphone, just to double check that I'm not getting ripped off.

Of course, cooler head prevails.  I don't have time to waste like that, I'd rather just post on Languish.  And the guy who would be trying to con me would just be a poor schlep barely getting by, and under strict order to fuck the customers.  Pranking people so low on the totem pole is just going to bring bad karma.

I only play pranks on people who get on my bad side.  Like neighbor who complained to the city that our lawn wasn't up to snuff.  So I got some herbicide and used to write the word "pedophile" on his well manicured lawn.  Is that good or bad Karma? :unsure:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2013, 07:24:25 AM
I only play pranks on people who get on my bad side.  Like neighbor who complained to the city that our lawn wasn't up to snuff.

The fuckers that used to steal my newspapers every morning stopped when I woke up at 5 am, got the newspaper when it was delivered, opened it, filled it with cat shit and pissy kitty litter, rolled it back up, put it back in the plastic bag, and put it back outside.  They stopped stealing them after that.

I don't know if that's good karma or bad karma, but I was giggling too hard while I was doing it to care.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2013, 07:24:25 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2013, 11:51:22 PM

I only play pranks on people who get on my bad side.  Like neighbor who complained to the city that our lawn wasn't up to snuff.  So I got some herbicide and used to write the word "pedophile" on his well manicured lawn.  Is that good or bad Karma? :unsure:

I give you style points, but the use of pedophile was a bit too strong.

OH WHO AM I KIDDING? I Icepick people's tires.

Lettow77

Hue

I got that wonderful reply that Japanese give when they are offended and suddenly adopt a much politer and more apologetic register- Some nonsense about how it is improper to foist the language of the elderly upon young people it doesn't suit.

Adorable! You can't make this stuff up. Behold as she has the temerity to claim nobody in particular values "ara ara".

Quoteどうでしょうか...

その年代に合った話し方があるので強制はするべきではないと思います。

それに、私はその言葉に貴方ほどの思い入れもありませんし、さほど重要視されるような言葉でもありません。

仮にその言葉が無くなったとしても誰も困る事はないはずです...

あしからず

As she is clearly not of the right temperment, I intend to accuse her of supporting the bakufu and collaborating with western devils.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ideologue

I just put dishwashing gel in my laundry. :Embarrass:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)