News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2020, 09:25:07 AM
So... Drilling holes in the ceiling to run an ethernet cable to my office / gaming room. Anyone else done this? Or am I just mad?

Hope the bloody cable works at the end of it.

Is your office/gaming room upstairs? If so then go for it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

So... Drilling holes in the ceiling to run an ethernet cable to my office / gaming room. Anyone else done this? Or am I just mad?

Yes, you mad person.

You need to open up the walls & make it totally invinsible.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2020, 09:52:25 AM

Yes, you mad person.

Yeah if you are renovating the whole house let's just do it properly now

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2020, 09:54:44 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2020, 09:52:25 AM

Yes, you mad person.

Yeah if you are renovating the whole house let's just do it properly now

Yep, find a way up through the walls.

The Brain

Careful though. There was this movie where Evil MacGyver moved around in the walls.

Tamas

BTW, there's a way to transmit LAN traffic via electric circuit of a house/flat by connecting adapters to power plugs.

If I live in a not very recent British flat (my guess is that it was built 30-50 years ago), should  I risk it, or it is going to burn the whole building down?

crazy canuck

Can one ever trust British electrical wiring?

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2020, 10:20:02 AM
BTW, there's a way to transmit LAN traffic via electric circuit of a house/flat by connecting adapters to power plugs.

If I live in a not very recent British flat (my guess is that it was built 30-50 years ago), should  I risk it, or it is going to burn the whole building down?

Can't you use the outdoor plumbing?

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2020, 10:21:38 AM

:rolleyes: That's a way too old joke, Nucular Boy.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2020, 10:25:48 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2020, 10:21:38 AM

:rolleyes: That's a way too old joke, Nucular Boy.

And yet here we are, with it still being a thing in the UK.

Grey Fox

Not going to burn anything but it might not be very fast if your old wireing has too much noise.

My friend has a ~20 year old house & it works fine for him. I have a 45 years old one & I decided to run cat5e instead.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

I've had the same dilemma, and turns out I could solve it without routing the network cables or using power adapters.  My cable modem is in my living room, but my office is in my bedroom.  My bedroom also had a cable outlet, so I ordered a network adapter from Fios, plugged it in, and it serves as a second cable modem.

The Brain

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2020, 10:21:30 AM
Can one ever trust British electrical wiring?
:o Our plugs are the one thing I'm a full-blown nationalist over (that, and, depending on the mood - kettles).
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?