News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2020, 09:25:07 AM
So... Drilling holes in the ceiling to run an ethernet cable to my office / gaming room. Anyone else done this? Or am I just mad?

Hope the bloody cable works at the end of it.

Yeah I've done that, works fine. Looks like shit though.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2020, 10:58:32 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2020, 10:21:30 AM
Can one ever trust British electrical wiring?
:o Our plugs are the one thing I'm a full-blown nationalist over (that, and, depending on the mood - kettles).

:lol:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2020, 10:58:32 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2020, 10:21:30 AM
Can one ever trust British electrical wiring?
:o Our plugs are the one thing I'm a full-blown nationalist over (that, and, depending on the mood - kettles).

You should not. The UK plug is the New Jersey gas pumping situation. Ridiculous.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

The British plug is better than the continental ones. Prove me wrong.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maximus

The British plugs are clunky, but I doubt that's what Valmy was referring to.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on April 28, 2020, 12:46:38 PM
The British plug is better than the continental ones. Prove me wrong.

They are annoying to unplug. Ever encountered a British apple plug?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Negative. Looks like they are a bit unwieldy.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Yeah the apple plugs are bad. But that's the Apple-ness needing to look sleek <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

British plugs are the best.
One faulty appliance not necessarily taking down your whole house? Aye please..

Though they are the absolute worst in the world for their ability to conduct late night ambushes on your sole
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Cat5/6 is easy. I run it through the walls everywhere I live. Replace the wall plate with the rj45 plates and end them up however you like.

You can even put your cable coax in one of the slots instead if you have that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Not so easy with the higher cats?

I already have a super long 5e cable so I am running that through. Though I was tempted to buy higher and be future proof. The long delivery times and fact I already have floor boards up put me off that though.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

For some reason I've always collected spools of cable over the years from work. I treat it like a free resource.  :P

The Larch

Appliance nationalism, you discover something new every day...  :bowler:

Syt

"Jobs I'm glad I don't have to do":

https://vimeo.com/412892369
(turn volume down, the music is horrible)

Digger, suspended from a crane, demolishing a smokestack where controlled detonation wasn't possible. The smokestack is over 80 meters tall and 6 meters wite, the digger weighs 19 metric tons. The crane weighs over 400 tons.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

They lifted a..what is that a backhoe? Somebody rode that up there too. My estimated value: 887,945 Euros. Retire now, friend. Or what you're gonna do---this six more times, marry a Guatemalan girl and have four divorces, wind up penniless.