And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

QuoteYour Result: Junto Whig

77%

You are a courtly Whig corruptionist who is keen on the Protestant Succession and War with France, but mostly what you care about is exercising power in a highly disciplined way: you're a manager and a power-broker, more interested in your own personal gain and power than principle. What is convenient to the Whigs' chances of holding power - like the Act of Union - is convenient for you. You are also pretty handy at raising a loan to fund the standing armies and corrupt pensions and places that you are so keen on. Examples: Somers, Wharton, Russell, Montagu, Walpole etc

71%
Court - Non-Aligned

57%
Moderate Hanoverian Tory

46%
High Church Tory Partisan

45%
Country Whig

41%
Whig Commonwealthman

22%
Backswoodman Country Tory

0%
Jacobite Crypto-Papist
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 30, 2020, 03:06:10 AM
Same result for me.

Given that as a imaginary XVIIIth century Spaniard, when answering these questions my agenda was to undermine English power from within, maybe you might want to rethink your position though.  :P
:lol: Well it turns out that in 18th Century England being a crypto-Papist outweighs most other considerations.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Speaking of, who would be the last writer who had a major influence on a young generation? Besides JK Rowling. :P

Alternatively, what are the counter cultures of today, and how are the ypropagated?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Always the jazz maniacs.

Legbiter

Excavation of a former German field cemetary on the Eastern Front a few months ago. Very interesting process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym8GN0NUXCo&t=1s
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on April 30, 2020, 06:09:55 AM
Speaking of, who would be the last writer who had a major influence on a young generation? Besides JK Rowling. :P

Alternatively, what are the counter cultures of today, and how are the ypropagated?
Before Rowling you mean?
RL Stein?
At the same time/after her?... Hunger Games person?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2020, 07:09:07 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 30, 2020, 06:09:55 AM

Before Rowling you mean?
RL Stein?
At the same time/after her?... Hunger Games person?

I threw in Rowling for giggles. :P

I meant writers who influenced youth counter culture. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

I think Rowling's not a bad shout in fairness. All the people making references to Dumbledore's Army on their protest signs. I mean it's cringe as fuck, but she's had influence.

I always think of that John Cage line from the 80s-90s, "We live in a time not of mainstream but of many streams, or even, if you insist upon a river of time, then we have come to the delta, maybe even beyond a delta to an ocean which is going back to the skies." I think we are now beyond the delta: there is no clearly distinguished mainstream or counter-cultural streams, just the ocean and the skies.

I think people are more comfortable and able to define themselves and need to use their cultural consumption as less of a synecdoche for themselves and a declaration of their role. Which maybe allows them to be - in the best way possible - a bit more shallow in their consumption, picking the elements they like and skimming across the various currents. I certainly see far less rigid policing of style/cultural borders than I did when I was young (and I think that was far less intense than it was, say, in the late 70s-early 80s with punk etc).
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Syt on April 30, 2020, 05:56:00 AM

:o :o :o

I went to college with Mary, Lord Beaulieu's daughter; can you believe it, there was a time in England when some nobility sent there children to state schools.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36UrLDiTLvU

Not sure if this has been posted before.  But this guy's videos are simply epic.  He animated the entire WWII Eastern Front.  This time he animated France 1940.  I learn a lot more about these wars from his videos. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Monoriu on April 30, 2020, 08:40:03 AM

Not sure if this has been posted before.  But this guy's videos are simply epic.  He animated the entire WWII Eastern Front.  This time he animated France 1940.  I learn a lot more about these wars from his videos.
"In 1939, Germany found itself in a war with Britain and France" :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 30, 2020, 08:45:00 AM

It was an accident waiting to happen.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 30, 2020, 08:45:00 AM

Yes? My understanding is that Germany didn't hope for the war against Poland to lead to war with the West.