The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 30, 2020, 01:01:28 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 30, 2020, 12:52:26 PM
#StuartRestorationNow
#PapismNow :w00t:

Look at them, bloody Catholics, filling the bloody world up with bloody people they can't afford to bloody feed.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on April 30, 2020, 01:04:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 30, 2020, 01:01:28 PM
#StuartRestorationNow
#PapismNow :w00t:

Look at them, bloody Catholics, filling the bloody world up with bloody people they can't afford to bloody feed.

Well, I mean, we've got two children, and we've had sexual intercourse twice.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2020, 01:02:33 PM
#StuartRestorationNow

Which would be the House of Wittelsbach now. So really we would just be changing one German family for another.

Yes, but it'd be the correct Germans. :pope:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

As confirmed by the Convocation of Uppsala it achieved religious perfection. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on April 30, 2020, 09:42:01 AM
I'm surprised German is ranked more difficult than Dutch or the Scandinavian languages.  (I've never studied Germanic languages, other than English; I just didn't expect that.)

From what I've observed in both Dutch and German, Dutch seems a lot more English-like than German (Standard German/Hochdeutsch anyway). 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2020, 03:13:26 PM
*Every* Saturday?? :o

In civilized languages it's still called bathing day.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

In relevant languages it's named for the God of Time. :blurgh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on April 30, 2020, 09:42:01 AM
Saw this at CNN and I thought it was interesting:

Which languages are easiest -- and most difficult -- for native English speakers to learn?

The Foreign Service Institute (part of the US Department of State) has made some of their courses part of the public domain (available here.)  They also released a ranking of how difficult learning a language is for an English speaker (available here.)

I'm surprised German is ranked more difficult than Dutch or the Scandinavian languages.  (I've never studied Germanic languages, other than English; I just didn't expect that.)  I'm also surprised that Swahili, Malay and Indonesian are considered easier than even other Indo-European languages; (though as the CNN article notes, Swahili and Malay began as trade languages, which might explain that somewhat.)  I also didn't realize Japanese was considered more difficult than Chinese or Arabic.

I've seen this before. I say it's bollocks. Chinese is far harder than Japanese. The whole tonal thing is just incomprehensible.
And that they always say French is so easy. Yeah right.

But for sure Dutch and Scandinavian are pretty easy. Without learning anything you can pick up a Dutch paper and get the gist.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Chinese is difficult to learn even for Chinese  :lol:  That's why they had the simplified version - to make it easier for the masses.  There were numerous attempts to switch to an alphabetical system, especially after the Qing were overthrown.  So they have the pinyin system as well, but that's largely restricted to students. 

From what little I know about Japan, it seems they consider the most difficult part of their language is the kanji, the Chinese characters.  Some Japanese have remarked that it should be easy for Chinese to learn Japanese, because they have already figured out the toughest part. 

Josquius

Yeah, when I took a Japanese class in the UK and took Japanese exams in Japan there were always a lot of Chinese people who chilled for much of the kanji part.
I don't find learning the meanings of kanji to be very hard at all. It's just pattern recognition. Pish. The difficulty comes in the dozen different readings and combinations.

I've come to the conclusion with languages that different languages are harder to different people, assuming the same start point, because they have different hard points.

Japanese is a very written first language. So much of their culture and the language itself is based around the written form. This makes it hard for many but... I'm good with patterns and such so not me.
French on the other hand has its main difficulty in pronunciation. Which I find impossibly difficult.
I am not just having a go at the French when I say I find French harder than Japanese.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2020, 04:59:31 PM

But for sure Dutch and Scandinavian are pretty easy. Without learning anything you can pick up a Dutch paper and get the gist.

Wouldn't that be true of pretty much any Germanic or Romance language?