News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

It amuses me when my oldest boy Timothy unironically calls his little brothers "bros".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

I don't know why but I feel like it might be ok with the beans.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Thrilled to have just discovered the Dorset villages of Toller Porcorum and Toller Fratrum :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 04, 2020, 12:34:39 PM
Thrilled to have just discovered the Dorset villages of Toller Porcorum and Toller Fratrum :lol:

German settlers?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on May 04, 2020, 12:36:53 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 04, 2020, 12:34:39 PM

German settlers?

Toller is an old Dorset dialect word roughly meaning 'people who have a close bond with their sheep'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

The COVID threat started in mid-January, and is already #9 on the forum with the most replies/pages.

Closing in on #8, a thread that started in 2009. 

The 2016 elections thread is still at #3.

Still under 10% of this thread, tho, 

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 04, 2020, 05:07:10 PM
The COVID threat started in mid-January, and is already #9 on the forum with the most replies/pages.

Closing in on #8, a thread that started in 2009. 

The 2016 elections thread is still at #3.

Still under 10% of this thread, tho,

Tony don't worry, the rate of posting will slow once more of us catch it.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Well, Hans has been posting at his highest rate in years and I don't think it's slowed Zoupa much either.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2020, 07:02:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2020, 03:37:50 PM
Huh. Fall ball means something different in baseball. Didn't realise that.

But if you move when the ball is outside of the strike zone it still counts as a strike?

Not if you just move, you have to swing the bat.

There's also the check swing, when the batter starts his swing but changes his mind and tries to stop.  The rule is if the head of the bat goes out past the front of the plate it's a swing.  If he stops before then it's not a swing.

Is that a change? It used to be if you broke the wrist it counted as a swing.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on May 05, 2020, 01:07:11 AM

Beats me.  Squeeze doesn't know anything about baseball and I wanted to keep it simple.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 05, 2020, 01:07:11 AM

This is actually not defined in the rulebook exactly. It is entirely under the arbitrary discretion of the umpire which standard they use.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Elon Musk's latest child is called X Æ A-12.

https://www.businessinsider.com/x-ae-a-12-elon-musk-grimes-baby-name-meaning-2020-5?r=DE&IR=T

QuoteGrimes broke down the significance of each letter of the bizarre name on Twitter on Tuesday night, explaining that X stands for "the unknown variable," Æ stands for "my elven spelling of Ai" and A-12 is the "precursor to SR-17 (our favorite aircraft)."

His other kids are named Damian, Griffin, Xavier, Saxon and Kai (plus Nevada Alexander who died of sudden infant death syndrome.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Oh wow. I read about Grimes having a kid (and didn't click the link as who cares) but didn't realise she was with Musk.

Is this name legal?
██████
██████
██████