And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 29, 2020, 05:28:24 AM
They lifted a..what is that a backhoe?

Basically. With the shovel replaced with demolition tools (which they often use here for tearing down buildings).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2020, 04:12:52 AM
Appliance nationalism, you discover something new every day...  :bowler:

I didn't think that this was the first time it had come up on Languish, but all I can find with my pathetic "search-fu" is a thread about folding plugs.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Syt

We did talk about how British appliances didn't come with plugs in the olden days, and people had to attach plugs themselves.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maximus

Quote from: Tyr on April 29, 2020, 02:52:53 AM
One faulty appliance not necessarily taking down your whole house? Aye please..
That's only possible because of British wiring

Sheilbh

Finally, a useful political compass quiz - the Queen Anne edition:
https://www.gotoquiz.com/political_compass_rage_of_party_queen_anne_ed

Inevitably:

QuoteYou are more Tory than the Tories. You believe that 1688 was a disgraceful usurpation, and that the real King by Divine Right is James III. You're probably a secret Papist, or at least a non-Juror. You oppose war with France, mainly because, through the Jacobite connection, you're aligned with French interests. You will probably die heroically in the '15, or if you're young enough the '45. Example: Simon Fraser, 11th Lord Lovat; James Radclyffe, 3rd Earl of Derwentwater etc

60% - Whig Commonwealthman
50% - High Church Tory Partisan
48% - Moderate Hanoverian Tory
40% - Backswoodman Country Tory
8% - Country Whig
0% - Court - Non-Aligned
0% - Junto Whig
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Moderate Hanoverian Tory

You share a general Tory desire to uphold monarchy and Church, and achieve peace, but you're not as zealous, you accept the Hanoverian succession, and you accept the need to carry on the Queen's government. You are quite keen on pursuing war through naval means rather than through land war, although in your heart you want peace. Examples: Lord Nottingham, Earl of Godolphin, generally Robert Harley

55% Court - Non-Aligned
50% High Church Tory Partisan
33% Backswoodman Country Tory
28% Junto Whig
15% Jacobite Crypto-Papist
11% Whig Commonwealthman
9% Country Whig
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 29, 2020, 03:57:18 PM

:lol:

That is great

QuoteYour Result: Whig Commonwealthman
You are on the most extreme wing of the Whig Party. You burn a flame for the 'Good Old Cause' of regicide and republicanism. You're almost certainly either an extreme Protestant Dissenter or a Deist. You would disestablish the Church, and believe that government is purely a secular, contractarian affair. Examples: Robert Molesworth, Walter Moyle

92% Whig Commonwealthman
53%Country Whig
6%Junto Whig
3%Backswoodman Country Tory
3%Moderate Hanoverian Tory
0%Jacobite Crypto-Papist
0%High Church Tory Partisan
0%Court - Non-Aligned
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

Quote from: Savonarola on April 29, 2020, 04:09:03 PM

That is great
Some of the responses on Twitter have been amazing, in particular:
QuoteThink I'd be pure Jacobite!! But not going to do it... It looks too suspiciously like the Apps Vote Leave used to gather data about voters....
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Another Whig Commonwealthman here
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Got an interesting result:

Your Result: Court - Non-Aligned  82%

You epitomise the Court - you are interested in carrying on the Queen's government, governing pragmatically, and avoiding the extremes of party. You're probably also quite keen on feathering your own nest and gaining power for the sake of it - and war is usually a good way of doing that. You may have at some point been a Whig or Tory, or both, but you're really a partisan of the Looking Out for Number 1 Party.Examples: Marlborough, 2nd Earl of Sunderland

76% Junto Whig

70% Country Whig

66% Moderate Hanoverian Tory

58% Whig Commonwealthman

14% High Church Tory Partisan

4% Backswoodman Country Tory

0% Jacobite Crypto-Papist

Apparently, if you are not strongly partisan, you are just selfish.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2020, 02:25:08 AM
Got an interesting result:

Your Result: Court - Non-Aligned  82%

You epitomise the Court - you are interested in carrying on the Queen's government, governing pragmatically, and avoiding the extremes of party. You're probably also quite keen on feathering your own nest and gaining power for the sake of it - and war is usually a good way of doing that. You may have at some point been a Whig or Tory, or both, but you're really a partisan of the Looking Out for Number 1 Party.Examples: Marlborough, 2nd Earl of Sunderland

76% Junto Whig

70% Country Whig

66% Moderate Hanoverian Tory

58% Whig Commonwealthman

14% High Church Tory Partisan

4% Backswoodman Country Tory

0% Jacobite Crypto-Papist

Apparently, if you are not strongly partisan, you are just selfish.  :lol:

Twinsies :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 29, 2020, 03:57:18 PM

Inevitably:

QuoteYou are more Tory than the Tories. You believe that 1688 was a disgraceful usurpation, and that the real King by Divine Right is James III. You're probably a secret Papist, or at least a non-Juror. You oppose war with France, mainly because, through the Jacobite connection, you're aligned with French interests. You will probably die heroically in the '15, or if you're young enough the '45. Example: Simon Fraser, 11th Lord Lovat; James Radclyffe, 3rd Earl of Derwentwater etc

60% - Whig Commonwealthman
50% - High Church Tory Partisan
48% - Moderate Hanoverian Tory
40% - Backswoodman Country Tory
8% - Country Whig
0% - Court - Non-Aligned
0% - Junto Whig

Same result for me.

Given that as a imaginary XVIIIth century Spaniard, when answering these questions my agenda was to undermine English power from within, maybe you might want to rethink your position though.  :P

Josquius

Another extreme whig here. Which answering for ourselves rather than the crack I'd hope would be any modern human.
██████
██████
██████