News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: PDH on February 05, 2017, 11:37:48 PM
Fun fact - California has a "twinning arrangement" (according to Wikipedia) with Catalonia...

Yeah, it was done in the 1980s when for whatever reason these "twinnings" were all the rage (i.e. Barcelona is twinned with a dozen cities). I swear every little piece of dirt in Catalonia is twinned with something.

We are also twinned with Quebec (of course), and some Mexican state.

Josquius

Ah twinning.
The only time I ever see mention of twinning in the UK is on signs that clearly haven't been changed for donkies.
Seems a bit more popular elsewhere.  Particularly odd when towns are twinned with towns in the same country
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 25, 2017, 06:09:52 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 25, 2017, 04:41:43 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2017, 12:42:01 PM
Collectible nerds.  :rolleyes:

I'd make fun, but I've spent like $6000 on blu-rays over the past four years.  On the other hand, I actually, you know, use them.

So how many unpunched shrink wrapped Blu-rays do you still have?  :D

Certainly less than 90%, which appears to be the rough percentage of MB and Money's game collections that have never been played or even opened. ^_^
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2017, 04:12:57 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 25, 2017, 06:09:52 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 25, 2017, 04:41:43 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2017, 12:42:01 PM
Collectible nerds.  :rolleyes:

I'd make fun, but I've spent like $6000 on blu-rays over the past four years.  On the other hand, I actually, you know, use them.

So how many unpunched shrink wrapped Blu-rays do you still have?  :D

Certainly less than 90%, which appears to be the rough percentage of MB and Money's game collections that have never been played or even opened. ^_^

I am willing to believe you, thanks to your movie critic blog, but that is still a bit too vague.
Anyways, as a tribute to your movie critic dedication, I will watch Body Double, Brian de Palma's most blatant obvious hommage to Hitchcock, coupled with some exploitation notes.   :P

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on February 06, 2017, 04:12:30 AMSeems a bit more popular elsewhere.  Particularly odd when towns are twinned with towns in the same country.

It makes sense when there's a historical link amongst them. For instance, say, York and Lancaster. If they're not twinned they should be, and do all kind of War of the Roses themed cultural events every year or so.

PDH

Quote from: celedhring on February 06, 2017, 03:03:29 AM
Fun fact - California has a "twinning arrangement" (according to Wikipedia) with Catalonia...

Yeah, it was done in the 1980s when for whatever reason these "twinnings" were all the rage (i.e. Barcelona is twinned with a dozen cities). I swear every little piece of dirt in Catalonia is twinned with something.

I just that that it was funny to be twinned with an autonomous region/nation/whatever.  The Calexit people have spent a LONG time laying their groundwork...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2017, 06:35:19 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 06, 2017, 04:12:30 AMSeems a bit more popular elsewhere.  Particularly odd when towns are twinned with towns in the same country.

It makes sense when there's a historical link amongst them. For instance, say, York and Lancaster. If they're not twinned they should be, and do all kind of War of the Roses themed cultural events every year or so.

I usually see it without such obvious reasons.
In Japan for instance its very common for crap towns on opposite sides of the country to be twinned.

Catalonia should be twinned with the North East. Same flag. For some reason.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: PDH on February 06, 2017, 09:58:43 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 06, 2017, 03:03:29 AM

I just that that it was funny to be twinned with an autonomous region/nation/whatever.  The Calexit people have spent a LONG time laying their groundwork...

Ed Anger

I once had a meeting years ago with the Kettering Ohio city officials where they played up their sister cities connection. Why that mattered with buying a warehouse I had no idea. Like I gave a fuck about a town in England and Austria.

Didn't buy the building. My employer was put off by the city's rules.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Just checked, my old home Itzehoe is twinned with Cirencester (England), La Couronne (France), and Pasłęk (formerly Preussisch Holland, Poland).

And Vienna, according to Wiki: "The general policy of the City of Vienna is not to sign any twin or sister city agreements with other cities. Instead Vienna has only cooperation agreements in which specific cooperation areas are defined."

Those cities are Brasilia, Bratislava, Brno, Budapest, Chengdu, Kiev, Kraków, Ljubljana, Moscow, Paris, Tehran, Trieste
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

This will be a bridge that walls off all chances of failure.

Eventually, California will have to annex Catalonia, but this just right.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

celedhring

Quote from: PDH on February 06, 2017, 10:47:29 AM
This will be a bridge that walls off all chances of failure.

Eventually, California will have to annex Catalonia, but this just right.

You can buy the swag meanwhile.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 06, 2017, 10:57:19 AM
Yuk.

I agree, we will cut out all the non-California shit later.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM