News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Our beaches offer the best views of oil platforms the world has to offer!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2017, 12:34:40 PM

Well there are those beaches around Santa Barbara where you have(had?) to worry about tar on the beach because of a natural oil seep.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2017, 12:33:17 PM
Yeah you are confused. San Diego has some pretty lovely beaches. Particularly when compared to the 'beaches' that most states have on offer.

Hm.  I don't appear to be.  Looking at some old photos and such, I'm not seeing anything particularly special about them.  Generic doesn't mean they're bad.   They aren't like some of the gross ones in Texas.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2017, 12:37:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2017, 12:34:40 PM

Well there are those beaches around Santa Barbara where you have(had?) to worry about tar on the beach because of a natural oil seep.

Yeah, it's like that all along Padre Island.  Plus bonus seaweed and trash piles! Some of those areas are just disgusting.  E:  Oh and jellyfish.  All the fun stuff you need for a lovely day at the beach!

E2: 

Fun in the sun on North Padre Island.  :lol:

There were still globs of tar and such washing up in Panama City last time I was there too (about a year and half ago now I guess), presumably from the bigass oil spill.  I don't remember seeing much of that when I was first in that area.

Valmy

Don't listen to MBM. You can hang out on Padre Island for minutes without running into any trash/seaweed/tar/jellyfish/giant pick up trucks/confederate flags.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

LOL yes that is basically my summer vacation every year right there.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2017, 12:54:32 PM
LOL yes that is basically my summer vacation every year right there.

:lol:  Me too.  The big driftwood log is perfect in that shot too.

Josephus

Malta has a pretty good mix of Sandy beaches in the north, and rocky beaches in the south. General rule: Sandy beaches for silly tourists. Rocky beaches for locals.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on February 06, 2017, 02:13:14 PM
Malta has a pretty good mix of Sandy beaches in the north, and rocky beaches in the south. General rule: Sandy beaches for silly tourists. Rocky beaches for locals.

Then the Maltese seem like a silly group of people. Rocky beaches aren't beaches, just coasts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 06, 2017, 12:43:02 PM
E2: 

Thanks for curing me of any desire to visit the Texas Gulf coast. :cheers:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2017, 02:18:11 PM
Thanks for curing me of any desire to visit the Texas Gulf coast. :cheers:

:huh:  Why would you come here to visit the beaches? 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 06, 2017, 02:21:03 PM
:huh:  Why would you come here to visit the beaches?

It's not -20 with the windchill?

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 06, 2017, 12:26:23 PM
Maybe I was looking at them differently since I was just coming back from the South Pacific and the Redneck Riviera in FL before that, but the San Diego area seemed to have some fairly generic beaches.  Nothing particularly special, but they worked.  Sand + water.  Alright.

Speaking of the Redneck Riviera, Destin was surprisingly very nice.  White sand & clear water.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

^^  Yeah that whole stretch along there is pretty nice.  There is definitely an abundance of rednecks though.  ^^

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2017, 02:21:59 PM
It's not -20 with the windchill?

Yeah, but there are a lot of places like that.   North Padre Island isn't really a touristy destination spot.  It's more of a convenience thing.  South Padre Island is a bit different, but it gets all dumbass during spring break and is pretty far down there (it's like a 4-5 hour drive to get there for me, and I live in San Antonio).  Just go to Florida or California.

Valmy

There goes MBM's shot at a job with the Texas Economic Development and Tourism Department.