News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

That shit is the worst. I thought sister cities was lame.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

This is like California getting a homeland tile on Catalonia.  We may not want it, but it is ours.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2017, 11:38:59 AM
That shit is the worst. I thought sister cities was lame.

Texas is twinned with... Queensland Australia. Of course you'll think it's lame.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Hey Celery, before we annex you guys try to get the Balearics as well.  That would be perfect with the California Channel Islands - a matching set.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 06, 2017, 11:45:41 AM
They have nicer beaches.

Californian and Mediterranean beaches, both known for their suckitude.

Eddie Teach

I was comparing Queensland to Texas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Valmy

Mediterranean beaches are pretty shit. Unless you love sitting on rocks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Just checked my city's twinnings. They're:

- Buenos Aires.
- Caracas
(those two make sense as there are huge communities of Galician inmigrants in both those cities, and the ships that took them there used to leave from myyt hometown)

- Porto
(really close, so why not)

- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
- Lorient
(economic ties)

- Durango, Mexico.
(no clue)

- Narsaq, Greenland.
(Wtf?  :wacko: )

PDH

California beaches are nice, except for the -40 degree water everywhere north of  San Clemente.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2017, 11:51:14 AM
Mediterranean beaches are pretty shit. Unless you love sitting on rocks.

Plenty of nice sandy beaches in the Spanish Mediterranean coast.

celedhring

Best ones in Catalonia are the rocky ones though.

We have several of the wide, long and sandy variety in the south, but they are pretty bland.

MadBurgerMaker

This twinning stuff is odd.  How/why do they decide to "twin" with certain cities?

San Antonio is twinned with:

Mexico – Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico (1953)
Mexico – Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico (1974)
Spain – Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain (1975)
South Korea – Gwangju, South Korea (1981)
Taiwan – Kaohsiung, Taiwan (1981)
Spain – Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain (1983)
Japan – Kumamoto, Japan (1987)
India – Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India (2008)
China – Wuxi, Jiangsu, People's Republic of China (2012)
Namibia - Windhoek, Namibia (2016)

Quote from: PDH on February 06, 2017, 11:53:00 AM
California beaches are nice, except for the -40 degree water everywhere north of  San Clemente.

Maybe I was looking at them differently since I was just coming back from the South Pacific and the Redneck Riviera in FL before that, but the San Diego area seemed to have some fairly generic beaches.  Nothing particularly special, but they worked.  Sand + water.  Alright.

garbon

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 06, 2017, 12:26:23 PM
Maybe I was looking at them differently since I was just coming back from the South Pacific and the Redneck Riviera in FL before that, but the San Diego area seemed to have some fairly generic beaches.  Nothing particularly special, but they worked.  Sand + water.  Alright.

Yeah you are confused. San Diego has some pretty lovely beaches. Particularly when compared to the 'beaches' that most states have on offer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.