News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I see the pill pushing bots are active tonight. The mods in this place suck.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2017, 09:06:18 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 06, 2017, 09:01:09 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 06, 2017, 02:50:42 PM
Santa Cruz has some really nice beaches and the central coast here has great surfing waves.  The water, however, is just too cold.
:rolleyes:

PDH fails to remember that the Pacific in February is still in February.
my comment was more on year round temps thre are about as warm as it gets on the Alaskan beaches I've surfed. 

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 06, 2017, 09:10:43 PM
only seen two and both have been muted and dealt with so quit your bitching snowflake.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

lol, like this is a real board with real mod powers, the fuck you smoking.

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on February 06, 2017, 09:12:14 PM
only seen two and both have been muted and dealt with so quit your bitching snowflake.

QUIT OPPRESSING ME

PDH

Quote from: katmai on February 06, 2017, 09:01:09 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 06, 2017, 02:50:42 PM
Santa Cruz has some really nice beaches and the central coast here has great surfing waves.  The water, however, is just too cold.
:rolleyes:

I actually swim here without a wet suit - but then I have an insulating layer of blubber like a sea lion.  I learned how to swim in Lake Tahoe, and that gets a bit chilly.

No, I was talking about average sized people.  August water temperatures here are about 57, winter about 55.  The reason is the California Current that brings up deep colder water to the coast.  It can get into the 60s, but that is more rare.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

You going to learn how to surf out there?

Ed Anger

Lucullus swims with Lucullus.

PDH

I mostly use a small board and lie on it.  The thought of 51 year old me getting up on a board is frightening.  Come to think of it, I should just swim around the wharf and bask in the sun like the other obese marine wildlife.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 06, 2017, 09:22:39 PM
Lucullus swims with Lucullus.

I scare even myself.  And the tourists throwing raw fish at me gets tiresome.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on February 06, 2017, 09:29:27 PM
I mostly use a small board and lie on it.  The thought of 51 year old me getting up on a board is frightening.  Come to think of it, I should just swim around the wharf and bask in the sun like the other obese marine wildlife.

Just float around on your back like a coastal sea otter, cracking open beers on your belly like they do with clams.  :lol:

PDH

There are a couple that live under the wharf.  They have the cuteness factor dialed up to 11.  Because it is mostly a sanctuary coastline, the otters do pretty damn good here.  They might want some beer, though.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2017, 07:27:04 PM

If it's an honest, serious question, I think the number that I haven't watched is around 100, out of about 600.  (That is, I haven't watched the copy I've bought.  Probably about 50 out of that 100 are movies I've never seen.  A lot of them are in collections, e.g., I still haven't taken the time to watch more than half of my Buster Keaton collection, because unless you're Savonarola, you've got to be in the mood to watch silent films.)  The number still in wrappers is 2, and one of them doesn't count because I bought the Criterion edition of Soderbergh's Che for my girlfriend.  Not up to me to open it.  That movie is so long it's like Goddamned television.

Well, that's far from Comte de Largent's percentage. :P I expected a bit more. Until somebody can prove otherwise that will do. ;)

Anyways, as a tribute to your movie critic dedication, I will watch Body Double, Brian de Palma's most blatant obvious hommage to Hitchcock, coupled with some exploitation notes.   :P

It's a great, if goofy, film. :)  I got a DVD copy the other day (still waiting for Criterion to get on the ball and do Body Double right), and I've been meaning to watch it again.

Not going to happen soon I think, even if Body Double has sold out as a Twilight Time exclusive in North America.
European labels did Body Double right, be it in the UK or France, if you are interested (region-free in both cases). Carlotta in France really pulled all the stops on it by having a special edition featuring a 200 page book in French about the shooting of the movie. It's expensive though (65€). The British edition is limited to 5,000 copies and has a booklet, and all extras but one from the French über release.

PS: I ended up watching John Carpenter's Vampires instead, sorry.  :P Maybe Christine afterwards.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2017, 07:35:31 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2017, 07:30:14 PM
Now, that doesn't sound like me at all, permatemp.

You really want to start shit with me, Hunter?  Get back to wrapping up that 3,000-word review of American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt.

No Michael Dudikoff, no American Ninja.  :mad:
Sorry for Steve James.

PS: American Ninja V is not can(n)on.

garbon

:o

http://ew.com/news/2017/02/06/kylie-minogue-kylie-jenner-trademark-name/

QuoteKylie Minogue wins legal battle against Kylie Jenner for name trademark

Australian singer Kylie Minogue won a legal battle on Monday against reality star Kylie Jenner over the trademark of their shared first name.

Global News reports the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office rejected Jenner's claim, but the Keeping Up with the Kardashians star is already planning an appeal to use the brand name "Kylie" for her growing fashion and beauty lines.

In 2014, Jenner, 19, filed a U.S. trademark application for the term "Kylie," seeking protection for the term in connection with advertising services.

KDB, an Australian-based business representing Minogue, 48, filed a notice of opposition to Jenner's application in February 2016.

In court documents obtained by the New York Post's Page Six, KDB claimed approval of Jenner's application will confuse audiences and dilute Minogue's brand.

The company also pointed out the fact that the Australian pop star currently owns trademark registrations for the term "Kylie" across entertainment services and music recordings: Minogue owns trademarks for "Kylie Minogue Darling," "Lucky – the Kylie Minogue musical" and "Kylie Minogue," and has owned Kylie.com since 1996.

The documents slammed Jenner, claiming her "photographic exhibitionism" on social media and "controversial posts have drawn criticism from, e.g., the Disability Rights and African-American communities."

KDB also referred to Jenner as a "secondary reality television personality" who appears on Keeping Up with the Kardashians as "supporting character" to the Kardashians: Kim, Khloé and Kourtney.

Or as one commenter said:

QuoteTHANK GOD KYLIE MINOGUE IS UNAFRAID TO TAKE OUT THE TRASH!!!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.