News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 02, 2024, 09:42:09 AMWhat is an upwardly mobile beach?

One with bigger tips for the couch and umbrella guys.
Also having couch and umbrella guys in the first place.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Very much one for Jos:
https://github.com/anisotropi4/kingfisher/blob/main/station.md

Passenger flow map for every train station in Britain :mmm:

Including in Alasdair Rae's description London Kings Cross which looks like Pacman about to eat Sevenoaks:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

All rails lead to London?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 02, 2024, 08:11:57 AMhttps://www.theglobeandmail.com/gift/519974dc5e28f762a87fb14c1570523f4fb873adfcfcb945043907ccc3c41650/RE3CETSA4ZHQ5NDDPAGIBSPF5U/

For Josq

A Globe opinion piece on how Paris is de-carifying their streets.

So much good stuff coming out of Paris of late. Its truly bizarre. But welcome.

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 02, 2024, 05:19:30 PMVery much one for Jos:
https://github.com/anisotropi4/kingfisher/blob/main/station.md

Passenger flow map for every train station in Britain :mmm:

Including in Alasdair Rae's description London Kings Cross which looks like Pacman about to eat Sevenoaks:

It sure is pretty for the big ones, but I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing.
Like I pick a small local station and I see wafer thin lines going all over the country. That's someone had a connecting train from there to this station (there's no directs)?
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

So, in Shielbh's example, the thickest line is at the departure point of the passengers (King's Cross) and the lines get thinner as the passengers reach their destinations. The big thick line is the East Coast mainline. Search on Euston and you get a similar pattern but for the West Coast mainline. Birmingham new street looks like a starfish. Glasgow central has only a very thin line to Edinburgh, I've used that and it is pretty slow for only 32 miles, maybe most people use their cars for that route.

Sheilbh

Also there might be better trains and thicker line from Glasgow Queen Street (which is literally round the corner) - I don't know if this is accurate but I basically think Central is for connections to London and England generally while Queen Street is better for trains within Scotland (and necessary if you're going to the Highlands).

I found it interesting looking at, say, Manchester Piccadilly and Liverpool Lime Street - because the Liverpool-Manchester line is not that thick from Manchester but the thickest from Liverpool.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Definitely true there needs to be huge improvement to connect Glasgow and Edinburgh. Seems such an obvious quick win- not to mention the potential it opens up for places in between.

As I say though look at pretty minor stations, Metrocentre for instance, and you see faint lines all over the country. Which just seems weird.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I think this may help with the explanation:
https://github.com/anisotropi4/kingfisher

Glasgow and Edinburgh are pretty well connected - in the middle of the day about six trains an hour (at least two fast trains an hour too), but about ten during the commuting hours - just depending on which Glasgow station you use. But they are 300 metres apart so it's pretty easy to nip from one to the other.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2023, 09:38:23 PMCanadian lawyer pulls sovereign citizen shenanigans. You'd think a lawyer would somehow know better...

Story

Some excerpts:

QuoteArbabi's notice of claim, filed on Oct. 5, accuses McLelland of "trespass" for installing a privacy divider on her rooftop deck in their Fairview condo building. Arbabi identifies herself as "i, a woman" in the claim and says the case would be tried in the "naomi arbabi court."

She writes that "this is a claim based on law of the land, and not a complaint based on legal codes acts or statutes" and asks for compensation equal to $1,000 a day for every day the glass divider has been in place — totalling close to $70,000 by now.

QuoteFor her part, Arbabi claimed that Canadian judges who've ruled on OPCA litigants, as in Meads vs. Meads, don't really grasp the concepts of "natural law" and "trespass" that she bases her lawsuit on.

"Many courts, including the claimant, have trouble understanding what is often referred to as natural law. ... Natural law — or as I call it, just law — is that which is so obvious that it is not required to be written down into an act or statute," Arbabi said.

QuoteAn affidavit of service filed by McLelland says that when a process server knocked on Arbabi's door to serve her with McLelland's response to the claim, the woman who answered said she was not Naomi Arbabi.

The process server writes in the affidavit that she found Arbabi's photo online, and confirmed it was the person she'd just met, so she emailed Arbabi to ask for an explanation.

Arbabi responded: "when you ask i if i am Naomi Arbabi the answer is always no as Naomi Arbabi is an incorporated name and does not refer to a living breathing woman."

According to the affidavit, Arbabi expanded on her theory in another email later the same day, explaining that Naomi Arbabi was a "dead entity corporation" created by her birth certificate.

"I, a woman, am not Naomi Arbabi, but Naomi Arbabi is the name I am called. There is a subtle but crucial difference between the two. Unfortunately, this is not common knowledge yet," she wrote.

This one is my favourite bit from the article, though:

QuoteLast month, Arbabi agreed to meet with a CBC reporter to discuss her lawsuit, but upon arrival, declined to answer any questions. Instead, she read out a notice warning of consequences if a story is published without her consent.

"as such harm is a very grievous trespass, i, shall claim remedy in the amount of $500,000 for such trespass plus $5,000 a day for as long as the trespass continues," it reads.

... which seems to be the CBC saying "bring it."

Crazy lady has now been suspended by the law society.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Jacob

Was just talking about this yesterday - a friend apparently has a colleague who used to be her neighbour, and she put them through enough crazy harassment that they sold their place.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 03, 2024, 04:25:38 PMWas just talking about this yesterday - a friend apparently has a colleague who used to be her neighbour, and she put them through enough crazy harassment that they sold their place.

Neighbour disputes are just the worst.  In almost any other scenario you can imagine you can just avoid the other party, but not when they live next door.

We know of one going on in our neighbourhood.  My wife and I know both sides - neither super well, but both seem fundamentally pretty normal.  But then we hear the stories...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2023, 09:38:23 PMCanadian lawyer pulls sovereign citizen shenanigans. You'd think a lawyer would somehow know better...

Story

Because I didn't see this before...

No, I wouldn't assume that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2024, 04:31:08 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 03, 2024, 04:25:38 PMWas just talking about this yesterday - a friend apparently has a colleague who used to be her neighbour, and she put them through enough crazy harassment that they sold their place.

Neighbour disputes are just the worst.  In almost any other scenario you can imagine you can just avoid the other party, but not when they live next door.

We know of one going on in our neighbourhood.  My wife and I know both sides - neither super well, but both seem fundamentally pretty normal.  But then we hear the stories...

I'm surprised more neighbours don't kill each other, frankly.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2024, 04:31:58 PM

Story

Because I didn't see this before...

No, I wouldn't assume that.

Well, she should have known better, that is why the law society got involved.

Tamas