News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 26, 2023, 05:04:20 PMOnly in France. Wolverine being Canadian, the appropriate translation would have been carcajou, a word borrowed from mi'kmaq.

Carcajou is used sometimes in France as well, e.g for the subs of Red Dawn / Daube Rouge.  :P
For the comic books, it's Serval.

PS : did not check the remake

Sheilbh

Good piece on the cyberattack on the British Library which, digitally, has been down for about 3 months now:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-the-uk/the-disturbing-impact-of-the-cyberattack-at-the-british-library

At the same timme the British state is looking at more and more digitisation as a solution to everything (worth noting there are records already held by the state that it can no longer access because of the format they were digitised in) - and, say, director of cybersecurity for HM Treasury was a job posting last year with a salary of about £60k.

I'm not against digitisation (in fact I think it's a great idea) but the main driver for it seems to be as a way of saving money by closing down physical stores and destroying physical records, which I think is going to lead to bad results because I'm not sure it's necessarily cheaper. You need good security, good maintenance, re-freshing it to keep it current etc but instead I think the British state just sees it as the "low cost" option. The British Library should be a warning sign/lesson - it won't be obviously :lol: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

You'd think back ups would be a thing for government networks. Everywhere I've worked has them refreshed every night, and kept for a specific time. Even had to roll back once. Pain in the ass for accounting.  Is it just a volume thing, would require too many servers/space, or massive oversight?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Well with the BL it's not really the stuff that was stolen that was the issue. It's the impact of the ransomware on the network - and from my experience you basically need to re-build that entirely from the start bit by bit to avoid the risk of re-infecting everything.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

But that's what rollbacks are for, to "undo" ransomware. You'll have to rebuild a day (or more depending when it's caught) but keeps you from having to rebuild from scratch or pay out.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on December 27, 2023, 03:55:55 PMBut that's what rollbacks are for, to "undo" ransomware. You'll have to rebuild a day (or more depending when it's caught) but keeps you from having to rebuild from scratch or pay out.
I don't know. I've advised on them as a lawyer and have seen infosec guys go mad at the state of someone's systems and basically say there wasn't much more they could do - and seen in both cases systems be down for months while they're rebuilt.

Edit: I assume because you can't always tell when or how far back the ransomware code was dropped. From my understanding it's often initially loaded then distributed across a network and then at a later point activated - but I could be wrong. I'm not the technical side of things :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 27, 2023, 02:42:30 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on December 26, 2023, 05:04:20 PMOnly in France. Wolverine being Canadian, the appropriate translation would have been carcajou, a word borrowed from mi'kmaq.

Carcajou is used sometimes in France as well, e.g for the subs of Red Dawn / Daube Rouge.  :P
For the comic books, it's Serval.

PS : did not check the remake

So nobody agrees glutton is a much funnier word?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

The Latin word for wolverine also translates into "glutton".  Pliny writes that a wolverine eats till becomes overstuffed and then wedges itself between two trees to shit it all out so can eat more.  There's a map from the 16th century that shows a wolverine doing just that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Latest example of language tics I'm noticing on youtube is using "literally" to mean I really mean it.  E.g. "I'm literally going to sue you."  Used exclusively by young females.

Jacob

Literally seems to have been used to mean "figuratively" for a number of years in American English.

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 27, 2023, 03:08:25 PMdirector of cybersecurity for HM Treasury was a job posting last year with a salary of about £60k.
720k per year for a civil servant is surprisingly high, but ok, they have to compete with the private market in a place like London. That's how you read that figure, right?  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on December 27, 2023, 08:16:31 PMLiterally seems to have been used to mean "figuratively" for a number of years in American English.
And English English. I think it's pretty common.

I remember the moans about Biden's speech a decade ago :lol:
https://www.politico.com/story/2012/09/biden-literally-lambasted-on-twitter-080893

Quote720k per year for a civil servant is surprisingly high, but ok, they have to compete with the private market in a place like London. That's how you read that figure, right?  :P
:lol: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I do wonder who they hired for that job :hmm:
I suspect it has done well for some junior manager's career.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on December 28, 2023, 07:25:54 AMI do wonder who they hired for that job :hmm:
I suspect it has done well for some junior manager's career.
So in fairness I suspect it's actually quite a junior role. I think the central government's digital estate will be monitored and secured by the intelligence agencies (particularly GCHQ and their off-shoot the National Cyber Security Centre) - that will be applied across the central government civil service. I could be wrong but my guess is that your responsibility at HM Treasury is relatively low.

I think the risk is probably actually bigger at the arm's length bodies that either deliver services for central government but aren't part of the centre (NHS Trusts etc), independent bodies like regulators or the BofE, or local councils. I suspect they will be on broadly similr public sector payscales (although I think the BofE pays very well) but not necessarily under the umbrella protection of the intelligence services.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I haven't bought whisky in ages, and I want to buy a bottle as a present. What's the best of the popular single malt scotchs nowadays? I'm stuck on glenfiddich/macallan/glenmorangie which are the ones I used to drink back in the time.