News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Legbiter

It's much bigger than the previous ones and very close to Grindavík.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Ok fissure is about 3 km in length.

Live webcam.

Syt

Preston, UK, through the ages:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

So. It used to look nice, but they fixed that?

celedhring

I wondered what happened to that clock tower in the 1901 pic... Looking it up, apparently it was the second largest in the UK after the Big Ben, and burned down in 1947.

https://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2012/03/preston-past-sir-george-gilbert-scotts-preston-town-hall/

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on December 19, 2023, 02:16:56 AMPreston, UK, through the ages:

Wow. An actual success story in the UK.
I have heard much of Preston's economic model but didn't know it extended to urban design too.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

That old town hall stood on one side of a square called the Flag Market. Unfortunately it got replaced with a 1960s office block. The other buildings facing the square are quite interesting pieces of Victorian architecture (especially the Harris museum) and the Cenotaph, so a bit of a shame really.

The street shown is Fishergate which is shops, restaurants, banks and building socities. Its pretty 3rd rate so if  you want to have fun shopping you go to Liverpool or Manchester.

Legbiter

The fissure reached about 4 km in length last night and is now rapidly consolidating into 5 active vents. The town and the powerplant are safe. That's a proper volcanic eruption, I could walk up a hill a short distance from my house and watch the intense red glow from it last night.

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on December 19, 2023, 11:23:08 AM

The fissure reached about 4 km in length last night and is now rapidly consolidating into 5 active vents. The town and the powerplant are safe. That's a proper volcanic eruption, I could walk up a hill a short distance from my house and watch the intense red glow from it last night.

Tame volcanoes are much less frightening, I suppose.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 19, 2023, 05:22:23 AMThat old town hall stood on one side of a square called the Flag Market. Unfortunately it got replaced with a 1960s office block. The other buildings facing the square are quite interesting pieces of Victorian architecture (especially the Harris museum) and the Cenotaph, so a bit of a shame really.

The street shown is Fishergate which is shops, restaurants, banks and building socities. Its pretty 3rd rate so if  you want to have fun shopping you go to Liverpool or Manchester.

Thanks for the info. This being Preston I was hoping you'd comment. :hug:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

In Switzerland and randomly discovered one of only two Popeyes chicken in the country in a insignificant service station off the motorway out of Geneva. Strange place for it.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I only recently had my first Popeye's meal. I liked it.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on December 20, 2023, 06:28:30 PMI only recently had my first Popeye's meal. I liked it.

Bizarrely, Popeye's is owned by Tim Horton's (named after a Canadian hockey player).

As far as fried chicken goes I definitely prefer it over KFC.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

they have chick fil a in europe?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.