News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I can't hear about Guildford without Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy popping into my head. :P

QuoteFord Prefect:
How would you react if I told you that I'm not from Guildford after all, but from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse?

Arthur Dent:
I don't know. Why? Do you think it's the sort of thing you're likely to say?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

He was a notorious fascist so...
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

In my brain Guildford -> In the name of the father.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/DcfXLWJ-2Fo

Just learned Roman Polanski lived in the Krakow ghetto until he was 8.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on December 23, 2023, 06:35:39 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 23, 2023, 05:10:20 PM
Quote from: Josquius on December 23, 2023, 03:27:00 PMHe was a notorious fascist so...

Douglas Adams? :unsure:

No, dummy!  It's Ford Prefect, obviously.

If I remember hitchhikers... He definitely did have vibes. Populist for sure. Or... The complete opposite. Or something.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on December 25, 2023, 12:54:03 AMIf I remember hitchhikers... He definitely did have vibes. Populist for sure. Or... The complete opposite. Or something.

:rolleyes:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, that was a very cheery read  :cool:

Jacob

Drunk Men's Choir - Skyrim Theme Song:

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the youtube thread, the music thread, or the Skyrim thread... so I put it here.

Josquius

So the French for wolverine, the animal, is glouton.

AND THEY DO NOT KEEP THIS FOR THE MARVEL CHARACTER

Wtf guys. That would have been fantastic.
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

Only in France. Wolverine being Canadian, the appropriate translation would have been carcajou, a word borrowed from mi'kmaq.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

One for Garbo :lol:

Funny thing is - which I'm not sure if Italians know - while Prosecco is DOC protected in the UK, it's also the cheap fizz :lol: :ph34r:

Edit: Also I LOVE "common effervescent wine".
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Don't call it prosecco if it's common? Err.....
██████
██████
██████